Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a 4X4 for commercial use

Options
  • 25-04-2010 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi there,

Maybe this has been covered before, but I couldn't find the thread!:

I am a traveling sales rep, just after starting around Sligo/Mayo, the roads are terrible and I don't want to destroy my nice BMW E34 Touring (love it!); so I'm thinking about getting a 4x4 that can handle all the pot-holes etc!

My question is, in order to avail of commercial tax and insurance, do I have to take out the back seats? I'd much prefer to keep them in, is there a "crew-cab" classification for commercials with 2-3 seats in the back?

Also, there are a number of good value Jeeps for sale at the moment, but they're not commercial (yet!). I'm sure it's possible to register them as commercial after purchase, has anyone done this; much hassle?

Cheers,

Enda.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

It's been covered loads of times, has to be the most common question on here! I'll have to do a sticky incorporating the most sensible replies.

Do a search on commercial jeep, should bring up several threads.

Easiest is to buy a commercial registerd jeep although carring passengers not associated with work is strictly speaking fraud and the revenue could do you.

Crew cabs are the only real option if you want seats. All recent legally converted irish passenger jeeps will have had the seats removed, can't DOE them with rear seats in. Buying an import and converting it to gain commercial VRT requires even more work and you'll never be able to reinstall seats.

Not sure it's really worth the hassle, I cough up the €948 road tax on my 110 as I need the seats and don't use it for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

Thanks Sean, I already pay €965 for my main car, which will become the family car when I get the work one sorted. I'm paying far too much road tax to heap another €900 onto it, and have been looking at classic cars for ages, but the roads around here would murder a classic if it was driven every day; that's what brought me to the commercial 4x4s. I'll keep researching, and thanks again for the reply!

Advertisement