Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drifting

Options
  • 25-04-2010 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

Might be not the right place but if anyone has ever seen one of those muppets that go out when its stopped raining to drift around roundabouts then this is for you.

Dont have video but on my way to work this morning approx 7.50, i was coming towards roundabout in plassey and saw a green golf speeding on the roundabout and he starts to drift towards some concrete bollards ha ha, and his back end when straight into them.

Priceless

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

drifting in a fwd golf is some trick :-)
    Did the spoon head do much damage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

are you sure he actually 'went out to go drifting', or was he just going a bit fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Woundn't exactly call it drifting, thats just pushing your car too much so the back throws out.

I certainly don't agree with it but they could be doing worse than pushing their car on a roundabout at 7.50 on a Sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Maybe now he knows drifting is for rear wheel drives.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Onkle wrote: »
    drifting in a fwd golf is some trick :-)
    Did the spoon head do much damage?

Probably got a nasty crack on his back bumper
    ottostreet wrote: »
    are you sure he actually 'went out to go drifting', or was he just going a bit fast?

It looked like thats what he was doing, going fast so he could skid/drift
    Maybe now he knows drifting is for rear wheel drives.:D

Maybe :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭CR 7

Was it this one? I doubt if they'd let him respray that one though. Or drive it in limerick.

car_photo_218302_5.jpg

Have you heard of the phenomenon of standing water on roads causing a reduction in friction between the road and car tyres?

That pic of the Golf, was that not just some concept supercar that VW put together at the last minute for some VW fanclub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd imagine the driver of the Golf lost control of his car due to the combination of speed and rain.

Even tools know you cannot drift a FWD car.

Nice of you to stop and help the lad out though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'd imagine the driver of the Golf lost control of his car due to the combination of speed and rain.

Well...that's not entirely true, but you have to be one hell of a driver to do it.

more than likely yer man with the golf did just lose control.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Maybe he shouldnt have been speeding :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

I thought that was onw i seen before with a rwd conversion but thats actually quite impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭CR 7

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    That pic of the Golf, was that not just some concept supercar that VW put together at the last minute for some VW fanclub?

Yeah, and I think the only production RWD golf. 650bhp or something, so that'd explain why it hit the barrier. However it's unlikely it'd be allowed to be driven in limerick, or anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Well...that's not entirely true, but you have to be one hell of a driver to do it.

more than likely yer man with the golf did just lose control.

Thats been converted to RWD surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

Horgan wrote: »
    Thats been converted to RWD surely?

If you look the rear wheels are locked almost the whole timeand the front is carrying it through the corners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It looks like he's lifting off around the corners to allow the car to oversteer.

That Civic drifting is bloody impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The only way to "drift" a FWD car is through lift off oversteer (like in the scandinavian flick) or by using the handbrake.

Applying throttle will only result in more and more understeer in FWD cars.

Now watch Tiff drift the sh*t out of a Ford Puma:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

I use liftoff oversteer (fwd drifting) all the time on dry roundabouts you just lift off at the right point then go back hard on the power and steer with the throttle

most of my petrol head mates can/do this

edit i watch the vid , never knew that was called the scandinavian flick its the same concept as on a bike to turn at a very tight angle you flick the opposite direction first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

I use liftoff understeer

Thats a new one :) - I think the term you are looking for is lift off oversteer.....

No wonder so many differs end up in hedges...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

cancan wrote: »
    Thats a new one :) - I think the term you are looking for is lift off oversteer.....

No wonder so many differs end up in hedges...

You know what I ment :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

FWD drift is not new , fairly big in japan, yes its locking up the rear wheels but its still drifting and requires alot of skill heres some more

Advertisement