Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada, Home, NZ....??????? What next

Options
  • 25-04-2010 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

How are things Guys,

Having read some of the other articles about travelling and emigration I thought I would share my situation with people out there and if anyone has suggestions please feel free to comment.

I'm approaching the big 30 shortly and currently on a 1 year work and travel visa again in NZ having done it before in Canada 3 years ago. Like Canada it all comes down to experiencing a new way of life and learning a bit more about yourself (if like me travelling alone). For some people the fear of travelling alone is too much for them but from experience you do meet people along the way and make new friends. I have never really settled into a job since I finished my studies though when I came back from Canada I did land a long term contract role in a great job that I thought would set me up for life if I kept my nose clean. I was hoping after keeping the sick record in perfect order and working overtime that they would make me permanent, Unfortunately it wasn't to be. So here I am killing another year away. I would like to see myself going back home but the negative talk is def making me reluctant to settle in Ireland. I'm considering looking at going back to Canada but unsure if the Under 35 visa can be applied again in my case having already done it. Either that I might look into Immigration lawyers Canassit I think is once such Irish based agency. Paddysaway is another good site about emigration. I have no trade and I don't work in IT, Teaching or Nursing. So to get sponsored by a company is gona be tough. I could go back home re-educate myself and head off. So many options though in the middle of all this I am finding that I am missing my family more so this year away. (All of them live at home). I know Ireland is going through **** at the moment but it won't always be like that. I think people have gotten themselves into a hole and can't find their way out. Well from experience you have a choice. Sit @ home complaining or like some people out there get up off your arse and do something about it! Life is short and if people didn't focus so much on negativity all the time they could learn to enjoy it (life) even if you don't get to travel. Having an uncertain future in uncertain times can be scary, but think of the most important people in your life and how they influence you. Thats what I know now matters. Ive learnt that no country is perfect and if the people in a country were determined enough to make things better whats stopping them? It all comes down to the next step....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I don't see what exactly your issue is here or what you want us to advise you on?

Also, paragraphs are your friend, your post is really difficult to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭S23

Sounds like you're up on your soapbox there. I don't think there was a question in there. It was just you telling us all about what you've done and what you think other people should do as far as enjoying their life goes.

Do you want something that you failed to articulate?

Also, as the above poster said, try using paragraphs in future. Posts that long are very hard to read with poor syntax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You need to be <30 to apply for Australia so apply for it if you haven't already.

You can't apply for the 1year working holiday Canada visa again.

You can work in the UK or elsewhere in the EU without a visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm currently debating with myself as to what to do career/travel wise.

I'm living and working in Ireland at the moment. I work in IT and currently my job is a contract job. There's been some changes on my team and it looks like I'm going to have to start doing some other type of work that I'm really not interested in and not looking forward to. This won't be a one off thing either, it will become a regular part of my job so it will be hard to escape it.

I kind of feel a bit like I'm stuck in a rut. I like the company I'm working for and don't really want to leave it, but at the same time, switching teams is going to be tricky as I don't think there are a lot of contract opportunities in other teams and there are no suitable permanent jobs open. The catch also is that I think the team I'm currently in, is probably one of the more secure teams as well. So going to a contract role in other team is a bit riskier.

I don't know if it's just a once off, but I'm feeling really fed up at the moment. I've started to think about emmigrating again and I don't know if it's just because I'm fed up with my current role or what it is. I like where I'm living, and the money I'm currently earning is good. I've lived in Australia before a few years ago (the 1 year working holiday visa) and lived abroad in Europe for a year or so also so it's not like I haven't done the travelling thing.

I suppose I'm just looking for a way to vent and to maybe get some ideas as to what I should do. How easy or difficult is it these days to get IT work in somewhere like Australia or America? I occasionally see stuff on the news and the web about skills shortages in Australia but anytime I look at the job websites, I don't see much suitable in the IT area I work in.

Sorry if this post is a bit all over the place. I go from being bored and fed up in my current job to being mildly interested. I don't think I could stick it though long term.

Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

I apologise for not using the paragraphs in my previous msge to suit some people. I am open to criticism!

There were questions in there but I was just basically trying to show the situation I'm in and if there are any suggestions out there that perhaps somebody in a similar state could be experiencing, they could be shared. Soapbox or no soapbox there's no harm in sharing one's experiences and situations, it is after all a personal issues thread.

Goingur there are loads of IT jobs down here in NZ. They cant get enough of them. They're looking for Nurses, Teachers and Engineers too.
    Best of luck with your decisions.

I can understand if you are working back home the frustration is there because you may know people (friends/family) that perhaps are unemployed and that you would love to be able to help them out in any way, shape or form, but can't. I know I would be frustrated having already been unemployed late last year. You especially feel sorry for families struggling to make ends meat. Well we can all blame Mr Fingleton, Bertie and Co till the cows come home.

If things don't work out when I return I'm afraid I'll have no choice but to head to the UK or Europe. Shame about reapplying for the U35 visa to Canada.

• Advertisement

davepatr07 wrote: »

Goingur there are loads of IT jobs down here in NZ. They cant get enough of them.
    Best of luck with your decisions.

Thanks for this. Do you have any links to job websites that I could look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

Seek.co.nz and Trademe.co.nz are a start. Good luck. :)

davepatr07 wrote: »
    Seek.co.nz and Trademe.co.nz are a start. Good luck. :)

Thanks, I'll check those out later.

Advertisement