Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A pint of orange cordial

Options
  • 25-04-2010 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

What would be an acceptable price for a pint of water with ice and a dash of orange cordial when purchased in a round of drinks in an Irish pub.
    Golden Ball Kilternan: €2.00
    The Queens Dalkey €0.70
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Free, it's a crime charging that much for what's essentially tap water, when bought as part of a round.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Robus

I tried saying that to the bar lady with no sucess

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

50c would be a fair price when bought in a round

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I believe some pubs get free cordial/mixers with the drinks orders from wholesaler, so a minimum charge at best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Was in two Dublin city centre pubs recently where they didn't charge at all, which is how it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Considering the majority of people who drink cordials are doing so because they're driving, it should be free. However, as you can't tell who is driving and who isn't, a token charge of around a euro is fine.

Killiney Castle, Free of Charge, ordered by a child without the lounge staff knowing it was associated with an adult group

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Free in lots of places (mostly outside of Dublin though).

Unless it's available for free, why not just stick to plain old water?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Del2005 wrote: »
    it's a crime charging that much for what's essentially tap water
    The same could be said for the beer TBH. If a longneck is 80cent in the offie, and they charge €5.50 then why not apply the same profit per drink, the person taking up a seat is getting the same service so why should they pay less? why should alcohol drinkers have to subsidise them? But as said designated drivers would be the exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

rubadub wrote: »
    The same could be said for the beer TBH.

Not if the wholesaler is given the cordial for free with beer/spirits orders

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As part of a round, it should be free. The price of the cordial is nothing, effectively. If the bottle costs €1 and you get 30 glasses out of it, then the cost to the publican is less than 5c per glass, even after staff costs.

Our local/regular gives us free coffee if one person isn't drinking.

As Captain Morgan says, I would expect something of a charge if the person was on their own, using the pub's services. Many pubs will ask someone to leave if they're not drinking, so why should they get cordial served to them for free? €1 would be reasonable. It's effectively all profit for the publican anyway.

If a child came up and asked for it though, you can assume that the child is with a group of adults, so again, it should probably be free.

oblivious wrote: »
    Not if the wholesaler is given the cordial for free with beer/spirits orders
    I don't believe in a free lunch, just like online stores do not have volunteer postmen doing "free delivery". If they wholesaler gave a "free" keg, or bottle of spirits I would not expect to get a free pint/shot from them. Coke did give out free drinks intended for drivers though.

I can see where people are coming from and am just playing the logical/rational devils advocate.
    I would expect something of a charge if the person was on their own, using the pub's services.
    I do not see any difference being in a group, I do not expect discounts when I order several pints of beer in a round. if the person is in a group they are also using the pubs services. If they are giving out free drinks then the drinkers are in effect subsidising them -which they may want to do in the case of designated drivers.

If I am in a pub with a 80cent bottle of beer that they charged me €5.50 for, I would be wondering why the lad at the other table is not chipping in his fair share for the subscription to sky sports etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

We don't charge for it. Local Bar.... We'd be shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

This post has been deleted.

we do the same, if they moan we point them in the direction of the pub up the road

Patrick Ivory's Bar in Dalkey €1.00 (with a meal and adults drinks) but aren’t they in receivership!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A bottle of beer (coors or bud etc.) is nearly the same price (if not dearer) than a pint of the same.

Some ladies don't like drinking pints so there is a captive audience for bottles. OK they could buy a glass of same, but it doesn't last as long, without ice in the glass etc. I remember when I was a kid you'd buy a pint and pour it into a half glass twice.... and I am not old either!

For the non drinkers.... I was charged 4 E for a glass of tonic water recently, as the Dessie. It was served with no ice or lemon. I handed it back and asked for a glass of tap water. You want to see the guy's face!

We are being ripped off big time. But who cares about it, certainly not the Vintners Association who moan and moan.... not all of em, but the majority all the same.

A bottle of beer (coors or bud etc.) is nearly the same price (if not dearer) than a pint of the same.

Some ladies don't like drinking pints so .

What about a male bottle drinker, charged more or less?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Ive never charged for a pint of cordial or even a dash in any of the pubs ive worked in and there was one or two mainly student bars in there. I think any place that charges more than 50 cent for it is a rip off myself.

cc87 wrote: »
    I think any place that charges more than 50 cent for it is a rip off myself.
    Would you apply the same logic to other drinks? if they are making ~40cent profit or more on any drink is it a ripoff?

• Advertisement
Advertisement