Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Writer's Festival Attendance

Options
  • 24-04-2010 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before - I did a search, but it didn't come up with the phrase (save for one about Philip Pullman but that was about his event being canceled).

I was just wondering about whether or not anyone be going to the actual Dublin Writer's festival? Or if anyone's excited about it? I'm supposed to be going for a class with a few members from my college, so being able to see so many people interested in writing within one area is an exciting thought for me :)

Does anyone have any recommendations for books to read by the authors that will be featured?
    http://www.dublinwritersfestival.com/festival-2010/programme

Thanks everyone :) I hope many of you will be able to go!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

The Ian McEwan & Stewart Brand climate change talk sounds interesting; don't know if it's worth €18 though and I might not even be free!

Antony Beevor's pretty well known too.

Some free events there too I notice, such as an Anne Enright reading. http://www.dublinwritersfestival.com/festival-2010/anne-enright

• Registered Users Posts: 43 emergingwriter

I think the line up is terrific this year. David Mitchell is a must for me. Expensive though. I'll certainly be buying fewer books as a result of going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

I'm very excited about Yann Martel and his new book! Ran out and got tickets as soon as I saw it advertised :D. I'd love to pop in to see a lot more writers, but it is quite expensive so I'll have to be very selective

Yann Martel...yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Tamith

Attended this year and saw two shows: The RiverRun Project and the talk with Sarah Bakewell, Declan Kiberd and Ruth Padel. Thoroughly enjoyed both! :) Makes me want to go to next year's festivities. That was a truly enlightening experience! :D

I hope everyone else that went had a good time too!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 emergingwriter

I saw the interview and reading by David Mitchell. Absolutely brilliant. Really interesting and slightly nerdy (OK very nerdy) about writing and viewpoint and cutting back the words and using the right words and present v past tense and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Tamith

I saw the interview and reading by David Mitchell. Absolutely brilliant. Really interesting and slightly nerdy (OK very nerdy) about writing and viewpoint and cutting back the words and using the right words and present v past tense and the like.

Darn, I should have gone to see him as well, then. :) I'm always interested in learning how to be concise since I'm already so bad at it :P Nothing better than being surrounded by the nerdy though :D So happy to hear you enjoyed it! ^^

Advertisement