Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC desire & Linux compatibility

Options
  • 24-04-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I see O2 are due to get the HTC Desire soon enough according to this post.
    I'm looking to replace my battered iPhone 3G. I like the iPhone itself, but can't stand iTunes or Windows. I run openSuse on my laptop with a dual boot into Windows which I only use the odd time to sync my iPhone.

Does anyone use the Desire with a Linux PC? It would be pretty handy to be able to ditch Windows once and for all and wave goodbye to iTunes while I'm at it.
    What sort of software comes with the Desire? I'm assuming it has some facility for backing up etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

st332 wrote: »
    I'm looking to replace my battered iPhone 3G. I like the iPhone itself, but can't stand iTunes or Windows. I run openSuse on my laptop with a dual boot into Windows which I only use the odd time to sync my iPhone.

Does anyone use the Desire with a Linux PC? It would be pretty handy to be able to ditch Windows once and for all and wave goodbye to iTunes while I'm at it.
    What sort of software comes with the Desire? I'm assuming it has some facility for backing up etc.
    The software that comes with it is pretty bare. It's called HTC Sync and all it does is sync contacts and calendar (And doesn't do a very good job of it either). Android runs on a Linux Kernel so compatibility with Linux is going to be no issue whatsoever. As for backing up HTC Sync doesn't offer anything like that but it shouldn't be neccessary anyway if you intend to fully use Google's services. Android is designed to be used within the cloud. For example, contacts are automatically synced with google contacts when you add or remove a contact on your phone or PC. The same goes for the calendar aswell. Android OS works best if you use all of Google's services.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭st332

Cool.
    Can't wait to get my hands on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

With Android you don't actually HAVE to sync. Anything can be installed/moved to the phone if you can mount the sd card as a removable disk drive. So long as you can do this in openSuse then you don't have a problem.

Apps (.apk files) can be copied to the sd and any media player that supports an sd type drive can copy music to the handset. Backups can be done in a number of ways - I sync all my calendar and contact to my gmail account. SMS and other stuff like bookmarks can be backed up to the sd card or again to your gmail account using free apps found in the market.

st332 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's pretty much 100% linux friendly :)

Advertisement