Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't decide on breed

Options
  • 24-04-2010 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi

I have a suckler herd and i want to get a bull from one of the lesser known continental breeds this time. Either Blonde Aquitaine or Parthenaise. I just can't decide.

I would appreciate it if people gave their opininions on the breeds and which of the two is the better all round breed. I mostly sell weanlings and stores.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I don't know much about parthanaise, but I'm thinking of buyin a blonde bull myself. AFAIK blondes are the most efficient at FCE, so they suit a farm finishing their own cattle rather than selling stores/weanlings.
    They don't seem to get the same premium in marts as charolais but are more docile than limos.
    I'm not 100% certain on this but I think the heifers are not as fertile as other breeds, I have one blondeX cow and she is difficult to get in calf and doesn't have much milk, but thats just my experience. Other ppl here might have more to add.
    Calving wise, my blonde cow has always calved herself, need to look on icbf to see what figure are like.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sillycows

Does anyone know where there might be a good selection of pedigree blondes around the west or midlands? perhaps the beef expo 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭UPCS

It depends on the type of the cows you have, but the parthenaise will give you easy calving, very good DLWG and are now being more so regonised in the markets and are achieving top prices both at weanling and beef sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Waddy

Parthenaises all the way super calves!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭UPCS

Do you have many parthenaise, and are you cross or pure??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Waddy

Only have 2 this year out of limousin cross cows but have 10 straws in the flask for this year. There 2 smashing bulls born the end of January im delighted with them anyway but of course there out of good cows. seen blonde calves there a while back and there lovley calves too! could see myself venturing down the pedigree parthenaise route soon just for an interest. best of luck!!

Advertisement