Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round Baler Challenge

Options
  • 24-04-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭

I hope you good people can help me.
    I'm looking for a round baler that will bale and wrap wood shavings both wet and dry. I estimate wet shaving bales will weigh around 1000kg and dry 600 kg. I know of the Orkel baler and from videos it appears to do a reasonable job, however I don't know how good the bales are and would like to see one – or similar - in the flesh baling our shavings.

So i want someone to bale, or show how it can be done perfectly, or give good advice!

Location is not important.
    It will probably have to be a belt baler.
    Can a front bale be modified to pick up wood shavings?
    I need the machine to be 100% reliable.

Any suggestions or comments welcome!

Odelay

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Have you tried the Harry Potter Hogmatic baler - the Magi-baler Mk75 should do the job no problem. You just have to use an extra 4 pounds of Moon dust on the bearings to ensure long life. That or use bulk bags, a front end loader and some type of simple hopper to fill them quickly.:) Why on Gods good earth would you think that baling wood shavings is a good system to aim for, as opposed to just bunkering them? Maybe there will suddenly be a big demand for baled wood shavings, but I doubt the cows will like them, unless you soak them in milk for a good while first, and cod them that its muesli. Having said that, the muesli I ate yesterday did taste a bit like wood shavings......

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

Odelay wrote: »
    It will probably have to be a belt baler.

why does it need to be a belt baler? this would be a disaster. If you look at any of the maize balers they are all fixed chamber roller balers. If you want to compare the consistensy of shavings I guess you could compare maize to shavings so the orkel maize baler would be your best bet.

As for taking it in through the pick up i think that that would be a non runner as well.

You need to get looking at a maize bailer, look in the farmers journal classifieds and see who has maize bales for sale and ask them who made them. Look at their baler and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

dunsandin wrote: »
    Have you tried the Harry Potter Hogmatic baler - the Magi-baler Mk75 should do the job no problem. You just have to use an extra 4 pounds of Moon dust on the bearings to ensure long life. That or use bulk bags, a front end loader and some type of simple hopper to fill them quickly.:) Why on Gods good earth would you think that baling wood shavings is a good system to aim for, as opposed to just bunkering them? Maybe there will suddenly be a big demand for baled wood shavings, but I doubt the cows will like them, unless you soak them in milk for a good while first, and cod them that its muesli. Having said that, the muesli I ate yesterday did taste a bit like wood shavings......

Proper standup comedian you are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Where can I get this moon dust?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

funny in fairness :D

• Advertisement

Where can I get this moon dust?

Bradshaws, but they won't sell it to muggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

Claas used a modified Rollant baler to bale cotton for transport, they fed it from a hopper above the balerbut I'm not sure how the arranged the pickup and feed to the chamber. I guess that you probably wont find an off the shelf machine to do the job you are thinking of, you may need to get a standard baler modified to bale the wood shavings. I think the method of feeding the shavings consistently and evenly to the baler would be the key.

Maybe based on the Krone/New Holland chain and slat type chamber? They have been used to bale everything from maize stalks to waste plastic.

Considering the fair lack of compressibility of wood shavings, I don't see what you gain from baling such a low value comodity. The world and its wife bunkers it. What do you hope to gain by wrapping it once baled? I ask this in total seriousness. A pile covered in polythene has to be more economic? Baled and wrapped woodshavings-It may be the next big thing, but I doubt it. Have you done any market research on demand, or do you have your own reasons for trying this? You could try tying it up with string and then stuffing it into bin liners-sort of a mini trial version.:confused: I have visions of mouldy bags full of musty woodshavings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Strawboy20

try lely ireland in kildare as they used to import an austrian baler that will bale maise and other material, my neighbour had a notion of buying one once and he told me they have ones that do everything from maize to cardboard, prob be a pricy machine tho

Advertisement