Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Wifi - Connecting with Android

Options
  • 24-04-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if it's possible to connect to TCDWifi or COMPSCIwireless using an Android phone?

Anyone doing this? I heard a while back that iPhones weren't able to connect but hoping all that's changed now...

For you smartphone users in college, if you can't connect to wifi are ye just using 3G?

I'm trying to decide how much data I'd use over 3G as I'm getting an android phone and trying to pick the best plan

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

M450 wrote: »
    Hey,

Just wondering if it's possible to connect to TCDWifi or COMPSCIwireless using an Android phone?

Anyone doing this? I heard a while back that iPhones weren't able to connect but hoping all that's changed now...

For you smartphone users in college, if you can't connect to wifi are ye just using 3G?

I'm trying to decide how much data I'd use over 3G as I'm getting an android phone and trying to pick the best plan
    COMPSCIwireless doesn't have any MAC filtering so it should work fine on that.

I'm not sure about TCDwifi tbh. Try it. You might be lucky and that stupid Bradford thing might deem it as Linux and allow you on the network, but I haven't tried so I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cf_al_bs

I tried with my Hero in January on TCDwifi and couldn't get it to work. Maybe someone else can. Didn't try COMPSCIwireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

You can get any device on TCDwifi if you spoof the device's MAC on some other laptop, register that, and resume normal operations. Here's how.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

ah cool, I suppose spoofing the MAC makes sense. I'll be on the compsci most of the time anyway. At least now I know that while in college and at home I won't be eating into the 3G data allowance...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hanleyco

Hi, I was wondering about this too. Have a HTC desire and cannot find the TCDwifi network anywhere. I know its a non-broadcast network but even adding it manually doesn't work.

Instead of registering the spoofed mac address of my phone on a laptop I chose to try change the mac address of the phone. This seems quite difficult and even after following these guide (1) and (http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-incredible/78668-how-spoof-mac-address.html) I dont think the mac address has changed. Any help connecting would be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I found the compsci network by entering the details manually but it wouldn't connect.

I gave up on the idea though. Realised that you can't set proxy details on the phone so even if you got connected there's no way past Trinity's proxy...

Advertisement