Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas boiler not working

• 24-04-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have a mynute 16e gas burner / boiler that stopped working. House is 6 years old with original burner. heating timer / controller is fine ( have it set to heat water in morning and evening. it switches on on time ) I checked the fuse in the gas burner itself and its fine. I turned the knob to "reset" on the burner, I can hear a click but still no joy.

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Assuming you have a sealed system, the only thing you can check yourself is that the water pressure has not dropped, low water pressure will lock out the boiler. There should be a gauge on the front of the boiler. If the water pressure is normal then you will probably need to get a RGI installer to trouble shoot the boiler for you. Try to find one who is familiar with your boiler.

If the water pressure is low - reading near zero on the gauge see if you can locate a filling loop either close to the boiler or in the hot press and slowly add water until the pressure reaches about 1.0 bar.

Do you have any other gas appliances? If yes and they are working then the gas supply is OK. If not, there is a gas safety cut off valve at the meter which can trip out very occasionally if there are disturbances in the gas supply pressure. Worth checking before you call someone out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Is it completely dead with a red light on the bottom left hand corner of the front of the boiler or can you hear the fan running?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Pete67 wrote: »
    Assuming you have a sealed system, the only thing you can check yourself is that the water pressure has not dropped, low water pressure will lock out the boiler. There should be a gauge on the front of the boiler. If the water pressure is normal then you will probably need to get a RGI installer to trouble shoot the boiler for you. Try to find one who is familiar with your boiler.

If the water pressure is low - reading near zero on the gauge see if you can locate a filling loop either close to the boiler or in the hot press and slowly add water until the pressure reaches about 1.0 bar.

Do you have any other gas appliances? If yes and they are working then the gas supply is OK. If not, there is a gas safety cut off valve at the meter which can trip out very occasionally if there are disturbances in the gas supply pressure. Worth checking before you call someone out.

Thanks a mill Pete, the water pressure was down to zero, found a valve in the hot press to let some water into the heating system which brought the pressure back to 1.5, i reset the boiler itself and we're back in business.

thanks very much for the advice and pointers

You will have to investigate why the pressure dropped. It is usually a sign of a leak.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    You will have to investigate why the pressure dropped. It is usually a sign of a leak.

had a good look and cant see any signs of a leak. house is about 5 years old, the system may not have been fully pressurised in the first place. i take it theres a small bit of gradual wastage even in a perfectly operating system through evaporation in the boiler etc?

• Advertisement

There shouldn't be. Check the pipe coming off the pressure relief valve on the boiler, it should be going to the outside. The valve could be passing. If there is nothing visible tape a coke bottle around the outlet and check it in a few days.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    There shouldn't be. Check the pipe coming off the pressure relief valve on the boiler, it should be going to the outside. The valve could be passing. If there is nothing visible tape a coke bottle around the outlet and check it in a few days.

Thanks Johnnie, I checked the pressure clock on boiler today and its almost zero again. opened the valve into the closed loop system for a few secs to bring it back to 1.5 bar.

i looked at the release pipe from the boiler and there isnt signs of it dripping but i taped on a bottle so will check that in a day.

if the bottle has water in it what does that mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

It means that the pressure relief valve is either leaking slowly and continuously, or it has opened as intended to release water in the event of high system pressure.

In the first case, the pressure relief valve needs replacement, in the second it is likely that the expansion vessel in the boiler has lost its air charge or has a leaking diaphragm.

If no water comes from the PRV, and the system pressure continues to drop every couple of days, then the leak is elsewhere.

What was the out come?

pressure guage has stayed around 1 bar for the last few days so gona keep an eye on it on see what happens. there was no water in the bottle i attached to the release valve so if pressure goes again it must be the air thats leaking out past the diaphram.

thanks for all the help so far lads

• Advertisement
Advertisement