Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

translation query

Options
  • 24-04-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I am looking for the irish spelling for my football club Western Gaels. I think its Gaeil an Iarthar, but if someone could confirm this then that would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Ghaeil an n-Iarthair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Gaeil an Iarthair is grammatically correct! Are your team thinking of having a bilingual logo or something? If so, fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hurler85

Our club are getting new jerseys and want the irish spelling of the club on the back, so it is important that the spelling is correct.

Thanks again.

Hurler85 wrote: »
    Our club are getting new jerseys and want the irish spelling of the club on the back, so it is important that the spelling is correct.

Thanks again.

I can see that the logo on your website has the correct spelling - Gaeil an Iarthair.

On the subject of GAA jerseys, have a look at the Tyrone logo. It has Contae Uí Néill on it. Since the concept of 'county'/'contae' is an English one, I'm sure Ó Néill would be disgusted to see his name used in this way.

The term in the time of Ó Néill was most certainly not 'county', but rather 'dúiche'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

+1 for 'Gaeil an Iarthair'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

I can see that the logo on your website has the correct spelling - Gaeil an Iarthair.

On the subject of GAA jerseys, have a look at the Tyrone logo. It has Contae Uí Néill on it. Since the concept of 'county'/'contae' is an English one, I'm sure Ó Néill would be disgusted to see his name used in this way.

The term in the time of Ó Néill was most certainly not 'county', but rather 'dúiche'.

While I agree wholehartedly with you, Miclin Muc, Dúiche Uí Néill took in chunks of present-day Derry, Fermanagh and Armagh, all deadly G.A.A. rivals to those within the modern boundaries of Tír Eoghain.
    On a similar matter does'nt "Contae Thír Eoghain" and "Contae Thír Chonaill" sound strange to the ears- surely the "County" bit could be left out ?

While I agree wholehartedly with you, Miclin Muc, Dúiche Uí Néill took in chunks of present-day Derry, Fermanagh and Armagh, all deadly G.A.A. rivals to those within the modern boundaries of Tír Eoghain.

Good point!
    On a similar matter does'nt "Contae Thír Eoghain" and "Contae Thír Chonaill" sound strange to the ears- surely the "County" bit could be left out ?

Well "Contae Thír Chonaill" isn't right anyway, but "Contae Dhún na nGall". I always thought Tír Chonaill was the north-western region of the county where the Gaeltacht is, but it must have extended further east towards Tyrone.

I suppose technically speaking "Contae Thír Eoghain" doesn't seem correct, but then again, so doesn't Contae Bhaile Átha Cliath or Ollscoil Chathair Bhaile Átha Cliath.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Unfortunately, officialdom has "baile" as part of the name of Dublin, and there's probably no will to drop it at this stage so we are stuck with the likes of "Cathair Bhaile Átha Cliath"

• Registered Users Posts: 4 behanjp

Hey there,

I dont mean to crash this post but I was hoping someone could help me.

I am about to propose to my girlfriend. She is a fluent Irish speaker and I thought it would be nice to try and do it in Irish. If someone could translate something small for me that I wanted to say could they send me a private mesage and let me know?

Thanks.

Advertisement