Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduation - what next?

Options
  • 24-04-2010 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the final-year people here are doing next year? Masters/PhD/work/travel??

On a related note, MSISS people seem to be really kicking ass on the gettingajob front. How do you think other courses/groups have fared in the job hunt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Work in a law firm :)

However I know many of my friends are having lots of trouble...the legal industry was/is oversaturated. So many are travelling aboard (emigrating) either to look for work or to work on a Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I was in final year (Computer Science) last year, but decided to do a masters. Most people in my class are in jobs or further study. I'm off to Microsoft come September :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

See you there SnappieT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Was considering a masters but could not afford it. Will look for temporary clerical work in Dublin, if that doesn't work out I'll look in England. If that doesn't work out and I'll sign on and do an intern programme somewhere. Anything at all really that gives me some work to do. Depressing times ahead I fear :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Denerick wrote: »
    Was considering a masters but could not afford it. Will look for temporary clerical work in Dublin, if that doesn't work out I'll look in England. If that doesn't work out and I'll sign on and do an intern programme somewhere. Anything at all really that gives me some work to do. Depressing times ahead I fear :(

You can't sign on and do an internship, You need to be available for work to claim welfare. Unless you plan to get up pregnant or to render yourself in some way handicapped.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Boston wrote: »
    You can't sign on and do an internship, You need to be available for work to claim welfare. Unless you plan to get up pregnant or to render yourself in some way handicapped.

Thanks for deflating another big idea :( Fúcking reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

Social welfare office on bishop street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Build a fort in your bedroom.

You won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Masters done now, job next year - the end of my university education in sight... in a way, thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Computer science student graduating this year. Interning in Microsoft for the summer and then hopefully doing a masters in the college. I did have a couple of full time job offers but (stupidly?) decided to stick with college for another year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

just-joe wrote: »
    MSISS people seem to be really kicking ass on the gettingajob front.

Where did you get that idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Was talking to a few a while ago that I met at big 4 interviews, and also talking to a (different) few recently who have all got jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Ah ok! I am going into 4th year in that course. From talking to the big companies, recruitment is on the increase from each one of them it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Yeah, I'd say so, not a massive increase though - has to be taken with a pinch of salt. But basically there are jobs out there if you go out and look (and maybe get a bit lucky too).

Advertisement