Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Show: Anatomy for Beginners

Options
  • 23-04-2010 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Was flicking around SKY and came across this programme: Anatomy for Beginners (it's on now from 22:00 - 23:00 Friday on Disc. Science, SKY channel 524).

They're dissecting a human cadaver to demonstrate the digestive system. The body has been mummified and they are dissecting it in an upright position to show how the internal organs would look when someone is standing up.

Not for the squeamish but fascinating in it's own way.

To quote the programme listing: "Lesson 3: Digestion: Discover the workings of the digestive system through Dr von Hagens' dissection of a human body. He demonstrates the passage of food from the mouth to the anus."

Mods: Thought this was more appropriate place than the Television forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Yeah it's a pretty good show!! I had to review recently it from an academic point of view recently i.e. what type of public engagement is etc etc so I've watched the 4 episodes so many times by now! It originally aired in 2005 on Channel 4 and I remember it causing a bit of a stir among some of my mates in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

linky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

linky?
    I found that you can watch the series on Channel 4 On Demand at http://www.channel4.com/programmes/anatomy-for-beginners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Watched some of the first episode of that before. So so strange!! Especially the naked guy just posing for the whole thing with somebody on her knees next to him, drawing on him?!:eek:

Anybody catch any of the Great Ormond Street docs that were on BBC the last few weeks??

Looked pretty good, I only saw ten minutes of it, looked pretty interesting though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

yerayeah wrote: »
    Watched some of the first episode of that before. So so strange!! Especially the naked guy just posing for the whole thing with somebody on her knees next to him, drawing on him?!:eek:
    What a dirty mind you have :D

Also, the German doctor doing the dissection is a bit..... Well considering the programme content, he'd be well cast as a mad scientist in a horror movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I've seen those programmes, they're fascinating! I really liked them, must watch them again actually...for "revision".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

rcdk1 wrote: »
    What a dirty mind you have :D

Also, the German doctor doing the dissection is a bit..... Well considering the programme content, he'd be well cast as a mad scientist in a horror movie.

Ya, he'd fit the bill pretty well!!

Just remembered as well how weird it looked when he draped the man's entire skin onto the drip stand. That was pretty strange!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

More von Hagens at Channel 4 On Demand - Autopsy: Emergency Room. Like his first show, with first aid tips throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

There is something very disturbing about that guy.
    Gives me the heebie jeebies.

There is something very disturbing about that guy.
    Gives me the heebie jeebies.
    Yeah I just watched part of the first ep (don't have time to watch it all atm, should be doing LC study) but it was very a strange setting, what with all the shots of the slightly disturbed audience... it's interesting though. Takes a while to get used to seeing the body like that at first, but the Von Hagens guy is slightly unsettling. I think it's his hat. Why would you wear a hat like that while doing a dissection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I think it's his hat. Why would you wear a hat like that while doing a dissection?

Rembrandt perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

. I think it's his hat. Why would you wear a hat like that while doing a dissection?

http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/gunther_von_hagens/anatomist_hat.html

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

There's some good dissection videos here; http://www.lawrencegaltman.com/Naugbio/CADAVER/GALLERY.htm

Advertisement