Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cordalyne unstable

Options
  • 23-04-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi, I planted a cordalyne about 6years ago. It was a very little pot plant. It is now about 5ft. It is leaning to one side ,a child possibly pulled it over but I also think that it is slightley unstable in the ground. Whe I grab it at its base I can see movement as I push and pull. I am no gardner and was never happy with the planting. The ground around it has sunk an 1" or so.

If I just build up loads of soil around it's base ,say another 4" or so will it grow more roots from the lower trunk area and become more stable. I absolutely dread the thought of having to dig it up and replant or something:mad:.

Look forward to your comments. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why not just stake it? Put the stake on the opposite site to the slant and pull the cordyline towards it in a couple of places up the stem - and straighten it up.
    Make sure there is about 12 inches or so of the stake into the soil. After 6 months or so the plant will probably be more stabilised and hopefully it will be more upright.

If the roots are exposed you could top dress it but I would not pile a lot of soil around, I've never tried it but I think if you pile soil around the stem it would rot it.

I have two cordylines in pots very similar to yours and now I think of it they both slant, but I have never bothered about it, I think it is a natural tendency.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Thanks looksee, I didn't mention it before but I did have it tied to a stake for 12 months but it didnt seem to make any difference.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement