Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perthes disease?Operation at 35??

Options
  • 23-04-2010 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm 35,male,diagnosed with Perthes in right hip when 8.Didnt have surgery then.Past few years pain getting worse,even a round of golf has me in pain during and after the round.Doc's did say that I would have to get hip replacement possibly around 40-45.They advised to hold on as long as possible as hips only last 10-12 years and they dont advise getting it done twice and defo not 3 times,which could be the case by the time I'm,say, 65.So,my question is-has anyone here any similar experience of Perthes?Has anyone of similar age gotten hip replacement?What hospital?Should I do what the docs said and wait til as long as possible?Only thing is my quality of life is being compromised,I dread the thought of a long walk cos I know my hip will be stiff and sore after.Should i just grin and bear it?Any advice greatly appreciated,thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Toes

Ok, this is definitely not medical advice, mods feel free to remove this if it is inappropriate.

Hip replacements generally mean that an awful lot of bone is removed at the top of the femur. They use a type of cement that generally loosens more and more over a few years which is why revision surgeries are needed.

Revisions mean even more bone is removed and hence they are not great.
    There are cementless hip replacements that are much better and newer types that remove less bone. Maybe you should ask your doctor about those.

Best of luck.

Advertisement