Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse fairs/auctions

Options
  • 23-04-2010 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi

Does anybody know of any horse fairs/auctions that take place in Co Cork/Kerry/Limerick. I heard of a horse fair taking place in Milltown, co cork but knowbody seems to know exactly when it is :(.

I now live (just moved) about 10miles from Newmarket & Abbyfeale Co Cork, about half a mile from Kerry border.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

Carla

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Old Moores almanac lists them all. Cahirmee is in Buttevant on July 12th, 15th August in Kenmare.Puck Fair in Killorgin
    The fair is one of Ireland's oldest and longest celebrated and is held without fail on 10th, 11th and 12th August every year .
    BALLABUIDHE DUNMANWAY AUGUST WEEK-END
    Sunday August 2nd. Monday August 3rd. Tuesday 4th. Wednesday 5th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

Puck is more than a horse fair....

It's an education in life itself............ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

There is one in Listowel every quarter. If I remember correctly, it's the first Thursday of the quarter so the next one will be July. It's quite small though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Spancill Hill fair near Ennis is one of the bigger ones. It's on Wed 23 June. The next Kilrush fair is Thurs 3 June but it's small.
    Clare marts sometimes run horse sales of a Monday in Ennis, I don't know the date of the next one but you could call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 CarlaAnkiah

Thanks guys for all the info!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Tallow horse fair near Waterford also.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

There will also be a good few shows on from now on reasonably close to you if you are interested, such as:

16 May - Kingdom County Fair, Tralee
    6 June - Mallow
    26 & 27 June - Charleville
    July - Rathfredagh, just outside Newcastlewest
    17 July - Crecora
    18 July - Newcastlewest
    28 July - Glantane, near Kanturk/Mallow
    28 July - Kerry Pony Society, Blennerville
    Early August - Kilorglin
    Early August - Whites Cross
    21 & 22 August - Limerick
    29 August - Ballindenisk, Watergrasshill
    September - Banteer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lydcrowl1

Ya theres one on in rathmore in kerry on 26th of september :)
    shanagarry wrote: »
    There will also be a good few shows on from now on reasonably close to you if you are interested, such as:

16 May - Kingdom County Fair, Tralee
    6 June - Mallow
    26 & 27 June - Charleville
    July - Rathfredagh, just outside Newcastlewest
    17 July - Crecora
    18 July - Newcastlewest
    28 July - Glantane, near Kanturk/Mallow
    28 July - Kerry Pony Society, Blennerville
    Early August - Kilorglin
    Early August - Whites Cross
    21 & 22 August - Limerick
    29 August - Ballindenisk, Watergrasshill
    September - Banteer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sineadbutt

Hi

Does anybody know of any horse fairs/auctions that take place in Co Cork/Kerry/Limerick. I heard of a horse fair taking place in Milltown, co cork but knowbody seems to know exactly when it is :(.

I now live (just moved) about 10miles from Newmarket & Abbyfeale Co Cork, about half a mile from Kerry border.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

Carla[/QUOT,
    i know theres one in newmarket this thursday feb 10th if that helps
    thanks
    sinead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hi, I presume this is the best place to ask this.

My friend is after a couple of eventing ponies and wants to head over to Galway to get a couple and take them back to England, where he runs a livery stables with his wife.

Can anyone offer any advice on good markets to visit, or good breeders. Also any advice on companies that can transport horses would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Cavan and Goresbridge run proper sales. donedeal.ie has a horse section.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

last September Tattersalls ran an Elite Event sale, should be on this year too

Thanks for the advice. He is particularly interested in the Cavan one.

He was amazed at some of the prices.

He was amazed at some of the prices.
    In a good or in a bad way?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

Hi, I presume this is the best place to ask this.

My friend is after a couple of eventing ponies and wants to head over to Galway to get a couple and take them back to England, where he runs a livery stables with his wife.

Can anyone offer any advice on good markets to visit, or good breeders. Also any advice on companies that can transport horses would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Fratton Fred, I'm based in Galway and know a guy who might be able to help, he has a few great ponies but if nothing else he's honest and will point you in the right direction. I'll PM you his number. Hope it works out for your friend in any case! :)

In a good or in a bad way?

In a good way. Even adding on the Defra and transport costs they were cheaper than he can buy for in England.

Advertisement