Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alternative to AA

Options
  • 23-04-2010 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭

hi is there an AA forum?

My mate is an alcoholic and does not believe in AA - is there anything else he could use? He has tried to give up - was in a centre for 30 days but it was AA focused and he did not like it...

I think with the right support he could do it...

any advice is much appreciated - it kills me to see this person be under the clutches of alcohol - he is a wonderful person - but alcohol is taking everything from him...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 robes

Your friend could try Lifering Secular Recovery. It's been going in Ireland for nearly a year. See the website for more information:
    http://sites.google.com/site/liferingireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

There are alternatives to AA / NA, these programs work for some and not for others. Im not sure where you are based?

Perhaps your friend could simply start with meeting an addiction counsellor. This would be a simply one to one meeting, no program etc and perhaps he could discuss further options available. Generally the costs involved with this type of counselling are lower than most.

There are online recovery groups/social networks also, and they do offer a huge amount of peer support, and although the likes of NA / AA are discussed, one doesnt have to attend or be apart of these programs to join. Such as Sober Cirle and In the Rooms.

Coolmine Theraputic Community is another option, they offer various treatment options, and arent affiliated with AA / NA, although they may encourage it.

At the end of the day, your friend really has to (and want to) do it for themselves, you can give the information but its up to them to make the call or take action to make the necessary changes. It will be difficult and ongoing but Im sure, worth it.

The best of Luck, I wish your friend every sucess

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

There are alternatives to AA / NA, these programs work for some and not for others. Im not sure where you are based?

Perhaps your friend could simply start with meeting an addiction counsellor. This would be a simply one to one meeting, no program etc and perhaps he could discuss further options available. Generally the costs involved with this type of counselling are lower than most.

There are online recovery groups/social networks also, and they do offer a huge amount of peer support, and although the likes of NA / AA are discussed, one doesnt have to attend or be apart of these programs to join. Such as Sober Cirle and In the Rooms.

Coolmine Theraputic Community is another option, they offer various treatment options, and arent affiliated with AA / NA, although they may encourage it.

At the end of the day, your friend really has to (and want to) do it for themselves, you can give the information but its up to them to make the call or take action to make the necessary changes. It will be difficult and ongoing but Im sure, worth it.

The best of Luck, I wish your friend every sucess

he is in the mayo area....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

sporina wrote: »
    he is in the mayo area....?

Ive got some friends that work in the area of addiction, I can ask around regarding options in and around that area if you wish and PM you any details :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

Ive got some friends that work in the area of addiction, I can ask around regarding options in and around that area if you wish and PM you any details :)

that would be sooo fantastic... i think he could get better with the right help...

so, PM me, thanks soo much,.. he is a gem - shame to see him suffer..

• Advertisement
Advertisement