Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Pregnant??

Options
  • 23-04-2010 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi Guys
    need some advice,
    my neice is 18 and thinks she may be pregnant, she is on the pill and has been taking it properly, she finished her last period on the 9th of may but in the last week she has noticed her boobs are tender she has very strange stomach cramps and severe sharp pains in her abdomin, she also got some lower back pain after sitting for a while, she never gets period pain or ovulation pain, could she be pregnant or would it be far to early for her to have these signs they started last week but are still on going today that means they started only 7 days after she finished her period i want to reasure her that she isn't and put her mind at ease until she gets her next period which she said is due on the 3rd of may,
    all advice is welcomed thanks
    xx

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Do you mean the 9th of April? If so then she is only around mid cycle now give or take a few days but everyone's different. Nothing she can really do except wait a week or so and do a test I guess. If she's only 18 then her body is still developing and changing tbh, she may just be starting to notice her ovulation pains more now.

Good luck to her though, hope it works out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Little D

thanks for the advice yep she only finished up on the 9th of april was thinking it was a bit to soon but she is convinced and very nervous almost had me convince to!! also she is on the pill which is almost fool proof, i was thinking it was to early to do a pregnancy test am i wrong??

Little D wrote: »
    thanks for the advice yep she only finished up on the 9th of april was thinking it was a bit to soon but she is convinced and very nervous almost had me convince to!! also she is on the pill which is almost fool proof, i was thinking it was to early to do a pregnancy test am i wrong??

Your best bet is to wait at least until about 5 days before her period is due and use a First Response or any of those "early detection" kits..

I've heard it said that some women will get a positive result as early as a few days after conception but I'd wait if I were her, unless she has money to be throwing around I guess.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

If she's having sharp unexplained abdominal pain she should really go to the doctor to get checked out, it could be something else that may be dangerous.

could it be somthing serious?? the pain only came on in the last week?? i would have put it down to bad diet but she put it down to pregnancy as it has stayed all week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭j1974

Hi Guys
    need some advice,
    my neice is 18 and thinks she may be pregnant, she is on the pill and has been taking it properly, she finished her last period on the 9th of may but in the last week she has noticed her boobs are tender she has very strange stomach cramps and severe sharp pains in her abdomin, she also got some lower back pain after sitting for a while, she never gets period pain or ovulation pain, could she be pregnant or would it be far to early for her to have these signs they started last week but are still on going today that means they started only 7 days after she finished her period i want to reasure her that she isn't and put her mind at ease until she gets her next period which she said is due on the 3rd of may,
    xx

why do you need to seek our advise on the obvious solution. Dont waste any more time typing about this stuff and just slip into the shop for a pregnancy kit, they detect hormonal change associated with conception, 48hrs after intercourse. she's either pregnant or she's not. It's like your asking us to diagnose a disease here for gods sake.

j1974 wrote: »
    why do you need to seek our advise on the obvious solution. Dont waste any more time typing about this stuff and just slip into the shop for a pregnancy kit, they detect hormonal change associated with conception, 48hrs after intercourse. she's either pregnant or she's not. It's like your asking us to diagnose a disease here for gods sake.

Where in the name of God did you get that from? In some very rare cases it can detect the hormone a few days after conception, conception can happen anywhere up to a week following intercourse.. Get your facts straight before you go straddling that high horse of yours..

Firstly if you dont like the post, its simple dont comment on it, i havent asked anyone to diagnose a disease my question if you would care to read it again asked if its possible she could be pregnant you obviously misunderstood pragnancy for a disease???
    First Response pregnancy kits give the earliest results and can detect the pregnancy hormone as early as 6 days before a missed period, in this case that is useless to her as it more then six days before her period, but if you no somewere i can get one that can detect it 48hrs after intercourse please do share this information with me

Das Kitty wrote: »
    If she's having sharp unexplained abdominal pain she should really go to the doctor to get checked out, it could be something else that may be dangerous.

Thanks for the advice, i think your right and it would be best for her to see her doctor, she has agreed to see the doctor on monday if the pain doesn't go away, poor thing is terrifed she's pregnant and doesn't think my brother will be best pleased, thats why she has only told me and has refused to seek medical attention before this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭j1974

Hi Guys
    need some advice,
    xx

OK so, I accept the fact now that I'm incorrect about the accuracy or timing of these kits. So if the kit isn't the answer then what are you looking for posters to tell you??? oooh this sounds like she's pregnant. with sharp abdominal pains or sensitive boobs, who knows what this is ok. she's just gonna have to sit it out Is the real answer im supposing.

And by the way little D " My Neice" yea, ok. why didnt you just say, "a friend of mine". go to the doc and ask'em instead of getting bent outa shape cos a man gave you an opinion on some topic you gals feel we've no opinion on realy.

• Advertisement

OK so, I accept the fact now that I'm incorrect about the accuracy or timing of these kits. So if the kit isn't the answer then what are you looking for posters to tell you??? oooh this sounds like she's pregnant. with sharp abdominal pains or sensitive boobs, who knows what this is ok. she's just gonna have to sit it out Is the real answer im supposing.

And by the way little D " My Neice" yea, ok. why didnt you just say, "a friend of mine". go to the doc and ask'em instead of getting bent outa shape cos a man gave you an opinion on some topic you gals feel we've no opinion on realy.

Listen i actually asked for advice because i thought some of the posters on here would have a better understanding of the reproductive system then i do, that is why i put the dates of her periods in the opening post to see is it likely from going on these dates that she could be pregnant??
    And why on earth would i say a friend of mine when it is not a friend of mine it is my niece?? Anyway as it goes i had no idea if you were male or female, your gender really has little to do with me getting bent out of shape, the reason i would be bent out of shape is that you are offering me useless information which doesnt help me at all so really your wasting my time,
    but it was big of you to admit your mistake with the timing on the kits so fair play for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

i'd seek a gp's opinion as soon as. sore boobs can also just be hormonal changes and if she's been taking the pill properly with no reasons for it not to work, i don't think she could be...unless she fibbing about the pill.

also the cramping wouldn't really signal pregnancy..could be bowel or intestine pain..she won't know til she does a test. but if she thinks she might be pregnant she shouldn't continue taking the pill..

and j1974 stop trolling if you've nothing constructive to say don't say anything.. you just let the men down.. ;)

cbyrd wrote: »
    i'd seek a gp's opinion as soon as. sore boobs can also just be hormonal changes and if she's been taking the pill properly with no reasons for it not to work, i don't think she could be...unless she fibbing about the pill.

also the cramping wouldn't really signal pregnancy..could be bowel or intestine pain..she won't know til she does a test. but if she thinks she might be pregnant she shouldn't continue taking the pill..

and j1974 stop trolling if you've nothing constructive to say don't say anything.. you just let the men down.. ;)

I think your right if she were pregnant it would be very early for her to be having any kind of symptoms, she swears blind she hasn't missed a single pill in at least the last 6 months so it has to be in working order in her system,

thanks for the advice i'm starting to think she has to see the doctor now either way,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

j1974 gender doesn't matter what does is that people post in a civil manner and know what they are on about. If you can't do either then don't bother posting.

by the way you might find this helpful.
    http://www.youtube.com/v/8ZKuuUPjk1Q

As ever medical advice can not be given on this forum, if you are not sure go to the dr or advise those you are concerned about to go to the dr.

I was on the pill 2 years and taking it correctly when I got pregnant on my first born so it can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Having a bad day?I was until i saw your post and its made me laugh..!You CANNOT detect pregnancy 48hours after intercourse..!Do you also believe you cant get pregnant standing up or in the shower..?

Little D its too early to tell for the moment but as Das said if the pain is very uncomfortable then get her to seek medical advise as it may not be pregnancy related..
    Also to be honest if she only finished her period then she most likely only ovualted last week ...

Thaedydal wrote: »
    j1974 gender doesn't matter what does is that people post in a civil manner and know what they are on about. If you can't do either then don't bother posting.

by the way you might find this helpful.
    http://www.youtube.com/v/8ZKuuUPjk1Q

As ever medical advice can not be given on this forum, if you are not sure go to the dr or advise those you are concerned about to go to the dr.

I was on the pill 2 years and taking it correctly when I got pregnant on my first born so it can happen.

Thanks Thaedydal, will watch that with her when i finish work,
    I have also decided she needs to see the doctor anything that causes sudden pains demands attention and fast,
    Hopefully it is just down to her awful diet of pizza chinese and chocolate!!
    will let everyone no how things go
    thanks for all the advice
    Little D
    xx

Swizzles wrote: »
    Having a bad day?I was until i saw your post and its made me laugh..!You CANNOT detect pregnancy 48hours after intercourse..!Do you also believe you cant get pregnant standing up or in the shower..?

Little D its too early to tell for the moment but as Das said if the pain is very uncomfortable then get her to seek medical advise as it may not be pregnancy related..
    Also to be honest if she only finished her period then she most likely only ovualted last week ...

Thanks for your post you have just backed up my reasons for posting in the first place to get the opionions of posters with a better understanding of the reprodutive system then me, i was unsure how soon after a period ovulation occurs,
    Thanks for your help
    Little D
    xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It could a whole range of things, best thing to do is get the dr to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

The pill itself made me have tender boobs, leaky tits and abdominal cramps when I was 20. I was then prescribed a lighter version, like a micro pill. Still I couldn't stand it. She might need another type prescribed to her.

If she has regular periods and if the math add up, then pregnancy test is a must as mentioned above.

If pains persist: go to doc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

<please so not makes suggestions with medical diagnoses>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

Hey OP, do you have an update on the situation?

Hi all,

she went to doctor was sent to beaumont she had appendicitis,
    she had her appendix removed the same day, was just aswell she got to the doctor and didnt just wait for her period to arrive as it could have burst in the mean time, the doctor was also able to tell us their and then that she wasnt pregnant,
    thanks to everyone for all the help and advice
    Little D
    xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Ha Ha j1974 - I bet you regret posting that now. I love when someone is really cocky about being right and they turn out to be wrong. This thread has brightened my day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

i agree bubbaloo, :D
    and i suppose its always good to remember that pain is the body's way of telling us something is wrong so get it checked out!!;)

Advertisement