Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

france holiday help

Options
  • 23-04-2010 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

hi, myself the missus and four young kids are heading to france this summer.
    we have some long spells of driving and i was wondering how i would be able to power our lcd tv while on the go.
    if i have a separate battery to my leisure one, what do i need to connect it to the tv to provide power and when i am on a site hooked up, how long will it take to charge it up using a battery charger?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

When you are driving can you just not plug it into the cig lighter/leisure battery, the driving should be enough to power TV while on the goand keep one or both batteries topped.

When on site you are hooked up to the mains, right? so why even worry about a battery?

Apologies if I got that arsed! there's always books :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Garminguy..i suspect your TV is mains powered, hence your question.

If my assumption is correct you will need an invertor to supply power to it on the go.
    Have a look @ the back of your TV and see what wattage/power it requires.
    There is a really cheap invertor in lidl either this week or next ...its only 150W but it might be enough.

Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

so if i use it on the go the invertor from my cig lighter will not run down my battery?
    what if i am wild camping?what do i need to get juice from my spare leisure battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

When your on the go it wont run down your battery as long as that battery is getting power from the alternator...obviously there is a limit to how much power you can draw without affecting charging but your TV aint going to do that.

When your parked up wild it will run your battery down albeit slowly enough if you have a decent batt.

Hooked up on site your battery will be receiving a charge and there will be 12V @ your 12 sockets.
    Marty

thanks for the info marty:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Just an extra thought. It's a good idea to give the kids headphones while they are watching the TV. You don't have to have the TV on loud and you can listen to the radio at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Camdec

*Kol* wrote: »
    Just an extra thought. It's a good idea to give the kids headphones while they are watching the TV. You don't have to have the TV on loud and you can listen to the radio at the same time.

Also be aware you will have to have the kids seat belts on when watching TV, and sometimes TVs in motorhomes can be in an awkward place for viewing when the kids are buckled up. Safety is paramount and the French police wont give you an inch! Might be good idea to invest in a cheap DVD player which the kids can keep close to them while travelling, as I presume it will be a DVD they will be watching not an actual TV channel!:rolleyes:
    Enjoy the trip.

thanks everyone for the advice, they will be watching dvd on the laptop which will be on the dining table, not a tv on the wall, just got to book ferry now

Advertisement