Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avenue road roundabout again

Options
  • 23-04-2010 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

Avenue road roundabout.
    This roundabout is going to drive me mental,well some of the drivers that use it will.
    Lights go red,I stop and some nutter drives on ignoring the lights.
    Coming from the direction of JJB, I always turn right heading for reb barns road.Three times this week, entered roundabout in right hand lane indicating, get half way around and someone decides to drive straight through from the newry side without looking causing me to brake hard with cars behind me.
    Another is when travelling south to the roundabout, Nutters enter in right hand lane and cut off other drivers so that they can drive straight on.
    If cameras were erected on the roundabout,They could make a fortune handing out fines to those nutters.
    Anyone else having problems here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

I've posted on this before, many mothers are afraid to walk their children across it because when the green man is showing they still break the red lights and drive through them. I myself nearly got run over numerous times. How long are they gonna wait until its changed? they'll wait until someones dead thats what they'll do and then they'll change it. politicians in this town are a waste of time if you ask me. :mad: ( not that thats a new revelation to anyone )

When driving around it my dad has almost the same problems as you. I wouldnt know as I dont drive but do voice my concerns as a pedestrian.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Do you know what!? there actually should be traffic light cameras there, I know that particular junction well enough...

Down here in Oz, most major intersections have these traffic light cam's if you go through on a red, you get a fine & demerit points. People need to know what RED lights mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

DamoDLK wrote: »
    Do you know what!? there actually should be traffic light cameras there, I know that particular junction well enough...

Down here in Oz, most major intersections have these traffic light cam's if you go through on a red, you get a fine & demerit points. People need to know what RED lights mean.

They could do that at any red light in town and catch hundreds of offenders every day.

I agree that they cut the lights on the Avenue Rd roundabout but the rest of the bad driving behaviour happens on all other roundabouts as well. It wouldn't kill the Garda to sit in the area for an hour or so for a couple of days and pull a few of them over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

its no wonder Ireland has the worse track record for accidents on the road. We are the most layed back and lazy nation and we need to wake up and make some changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

With the increased speed limit on the inner relief road it is only going to get worse!

I have seen people during the day driving the wrong way around the round about as well! Didn't catch reg as they were doing about 60mph

Someone is going to get seriously hurt there..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

its no wonder Ireland has the worse track record for accidents on the road. We are the most layed back and lazy nation and we need to wake up and make some changes.
    Not by a long chalk, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate That's for 2006, last year we were down to about 5.4. So we're not too bad.
    miceal wrote: »
    With the increased speed limit on the inner relief road it is only going to get worse!

I have seen people during the day driving the wrong way around the round about as well! Didn't catch reg as they were doing about 60mph

Someone is going to get seriously hurt there..

The junction really is a joke tbh. The lack of standardised traffic lights all through the town and probably most of the country is ridiculous as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Personally I think they would be better off deciding what the junction is supposed to be and redesigning it accordingly rather than just putting up red light camera's on it.

The idea of pedestrian lights at a roundabout is fundamentally flawed & is compounded by the fact that the lights do not all go red at once but actually do so in a rotating sequence, this can lead to someone entering on a flashing amber & possibly missing the fact that the light has turned red on their exit due to the fact that it is a relatively small roundabout and the view of the lights can be obscured whilst you are on it until the last moment.

The only real solution is to remove the roundabout (yet again) and change it back into a traffic light controlled crossroads, this would be safer for pedestrians and if the lights were correctly sequenced it would also ease traffic congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

GSBellew wrote: »
    ......The only real solution is to remove the roundabout (yet again) and change it back into a traffic light controlled crossroads, this would be safer for pedestrians and if the lights were correctly sequenced it would also ease traffic congestion.

But as soon as you do that you'll have all the complainers on about waiting on a Saturday morning for the lights to change when there is no traffic; the best thing I reckon is to remove the lights altogether and place x4 pedestrian crossings about 100 yards back from the intersection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Oh sweet jesus - i hate that place. I make it my business to find a different route around if i can. Got rear-ended there about a year ago and almost again a few weeks ago. A disaster of a roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Als76

Its a disater of a roundabout and it will get worse if the Retail park expands as expected. The council should put bridges for pedestrians and take away the lights and let the traffic flow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Go back to traffic lights with some proper bloody sensors on them. Then again that might be a bit too simple/sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

amacachi wrote: »
    Go back to traffic lights with some proper bloody sensors on them. Then again that might be a bit too simple/sensible.

Southerners just dont do rounabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

TommyT wrote: »

You having a laugh ?.
    It's mostly northern drivers speeding that enter in the right lane, over taking everyone else and drive straight on.Get a grip..

What kind of half-witted comment is that? Stand at the roundabout and see what colour the registrations are on the majority of cars that make a bags of the junction.

Look at the crap painted circles on the road that they call roundabouts in the North! They just drive straight across them. Yes, that's how you should do roundabouts properly!

Your average southerner is baffled by a simple roundabout. Simple as. Louth Co Co have tried everything at that junction and have failed to come up with a solution. If there was a bit more driver education down here then we would all be better off. End of story and dont blame northerners, they arent there doing school runs or going to grab a bargain in the retail park or going to jjb.

What kind of half-witted comment is that? Stand at the roundabout and see what colour the registrations are on the majority of cars that make a bags of the junction.

Look at the crap painted circles on the road that they call roundabouts in the North! They just drive straight across them. Yes, that's how you should do roundabouts properly!

I hate having to repeat myself, so I do, so I do!
    Your average southerner is baffled by a simple roundabout. Simple as. Louth Co Co have tried everything at that junction and have failed to come up with a solution. If there was a bit more driver education down here then we would all be better off. End of story and dont blame northerners, they arent there doing school runs or going to grab a bargain in the retail park or going to jjb.

What utter codswhollop! The average southener (whatever an average southerner is) has no difficulty with roudabouts. Indeed the complexity of many ropundabouts here (e.g. M50) is matched nowhere in NI. Such generalisations as you make belittle any arguments you may make regarding a solution to the Avenue Rd Roundabout.
    It's a crossroads on a very busy road. The current solution is by no means ideal but, if you obey the rules, it works perfectly well. The problem is that many drivers (from all jurisdictions) don't seem to know how to deal with it. We agree that Driver education is required but let's keep the stereotyping out of it. We can all quote Northern Drivers or Southern Drivers as being the villains. Down here Northern Drivers do all the speeding, up North they tell me Southerners have no respect for the speed limits. It's all bull of course. There are bad drivers everywhere.

Yes it is a crossroads on a busy(ish) road and the people of Dundalk have had serious problems with it since day 1. Louth Co Co have tried everything at that junction and it hasnt worked.
    I have driven all over the world and I have never seen anywhere like the 26 counties. The standard of driving is appalling. Up until a few years ago you didnt even have to pass a test to drive and it shows in the average motorist. They just do not have a clue when it comes to roundabouts, junctions, lane discipline, motorways etc etc etc. Now its not all the ordinary motorists fault and not all of them are bad. A lot of the signage is wrong in this country, the road markings are terrible, I have never seen anything as bad as the Ballymac roundabout anywhere in the western world. Single lanes leading onto a 3 lane roundabout, why 3 lanes? Who designed that? Were they drunk? None of the traffic lights in Dundalk are in sync, in fact you would think they were designed to make getting around town as hard as possible. The positioning of signs and other road furniture at junctions is unbelievable, it seems like the council wants to make life difficult for the motorist.
    Then take the area around the cinema, I dont know the name of the street but it is beside Carroll Village. There is a set of traffic lights there. How many times have you seen cars abandoned there? Sometimes double parked, blocking the road, blocking other cars in. At one stage a Garda car couldnt get through, such was the congestion and what did he do? Book everyone and have their car towed? Did he ****. It is the same all over town, cars parked at/on junctions. Parking bays too close to junctions, to hell with road safety if the council can screw another few euros out of the motorist. The only motoring enforcement in town is for parking tickets.
    Next time anyone buys a new car, make sure you get plenty of options, leather, sat nav, 19" alloys, indicators, etc, etc.

Advertisement