Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Saturday Fresh Chicken 1.3kg 1.99

Options
  • 22-04-2010 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Looks like there are some great offers on at Ldl this Saturday,
    fresh chicken 1.99 Euro, the ACE juice 99cent (tastes nice), olive oil 1.99 Euro for 750ml and some haribos i think half price

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Yeah, pretty good selection this week. Will be taking a trip there on Saturday:)

0.84?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

Edit-
    WK16_05218_b.jpg
    5 pack of Aeros for €1.29 too as part of their weekly offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Opium led greed

I dread to think of the conditions those poor chickens are kept in if they can be churned out for under 2 euro each.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

I dread to think of the conditions those poor chickens are kept in if they can be churned out for under 2 euro each.

But they taste like Chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Tastes like Chicken smells like fish....

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I will be there for the Olive oil,it`s great stuff but i will be avoiding the cheap chicken :(.
    Seen plenty of documentary programs on cheap chicken and the issues,no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

just went to my local lidl, surprised how empty it was, i got ten chickens and loads of juice, very cheap...chicken is chicken after all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

No chickens left at 10am in Ballyvolane:( They should really have a quota on this sort of thing. Sales assistant said people were buying 10-15 chickens at a time:eek::eek: They'd still sell them all if people were only allowed 2 or 3 at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

where would you keep that many chickens? Restaurants buying them maybe - no-one else would have a big enough fridge to store them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

just went to my local lidl, surprised how empty it was, i got ten chickens and loads of juice, very cheap...chicken is chicken after all

What ya making with all the chickens and juice:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

was in my lidl this morning at 8am in wicklow.
    2 old ladies cleared out all the 1.3kg chickens within 1 minute.

And I just dont get the "chicken is chicken" argument.

Spending little money on something doesnt mean that someone doesnt pay down the line, be it the eater, the farmer or the poor animal themselves.

My local butcher sells 12 chicken breasts for €10.
    Irish sourced, Free range and far better tasting than any chicken to have crossed lidl's doors. So "value" is a subjective feeling.
    And I dont feel it looking at the Lidl meat.

Anyway I dont mean to rant, The olive oil is great but the meat is not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some butcher could charge you €8 for the exact same chicken, would that be more reassuring? These could be loss leaders sold at below cost.
    And I just dont get the "chicken is chicken" argument.

Spending little money on something doesnt mean that someone doesnt pay down the line, be it the eater, the farmer or the poor animal themselves.
    Some might not get the "olive oil is olive oil" argument either.
    My local butcher sells 12 chicken breasts for €10.
    Irish sourced, Free range
    Where is this? that is ridiculously cheap for free range chicken, it deserves a thread of its own (and I would expect similar comments to your own in it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

what i meant by chicken is chicken is this price is too good to miss, lidl are probably selling this below cost price as a lost leader to get people in the doors.
    seems weird people complain about the conditions of chicken when its cheap, but if they went for a takeaway does any thought go into where the food came from.
    the english market in cork sells fully cooked chicken for 2.50 i dont see many people complaining there either..oh well
    where can we see a thread for the irish free range breasts at that price..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

loyatemu wrote: »
    where would you keep that many chickens?
    Chest freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

would there be anypoint going to lidl now?

im sure the chickens are long gone
    id make the trip if it was worthwhile (10miles)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

what i meant by chicken is chicken is this price is too good to miss, lidl are probably selling this below cost price as a lost leader to get people in the doors.
    seems weird people complain about the conditions of chicken when its cheap, but if they went for a takeaway does any thought go into where the food came from.
    the english market in cork sells fully cooked chicken for 2.50 i dont see many people complaining there either..oh well
    where can we see a thread for the irish free range breasts at that price..

wish there was a market in galway selling at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Its not right being able to produce chicken for under 5.
    check out this website Hugh Fearnley whittingstall has tiresly campainging for human conditions for chickens.

http://www.chickenout.tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Christ. Even when the entire animal is on sale we get this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

How much would 'noodler' go for on Mars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

noodler wrote: »
    Christ. Even when the entire animal is on sale we get this crap.

What exactly do you mean by this, makes no sense whatsover?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

What exactly do you mean by this, makes no sense whatsover?

They meant compared to say when you get chicken kievs and you don't know what the chicken is made up off.

Noodler of course completely ignored the point of the person he quoted- they were actually talking about the 'conditions' the chickens are reared in.

No way would I participate in this, those poor creatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

pog it wrote: »
    They meant compared to say when you get chicken kievs and you don't know what the chicken is made up off.

Noodler of course completely ignored the point of the person he quoted- they were actually talking about the 'conditions' the chickens are reared in.

No way would I participate in this, those poor creatures.

Ahaha. More idiotic assumptions without any basis whatsoever.

I didn't miss any point actually - but thanks for reaffirming my own one.

How on earth could a massive German retailer manage to offer prices cheaper to those of Irish ones? Hmm yeah, the only possible explanation is some sort of exceptional cruelty to animals.

noodler wrote: »
    Ahaha. More idiotic assumptions without any basis whatsoever.

I didn't miss any point actually - but thanks for reaffirming my own one.

How on earth could a massive German retailer manage to offer prices cheaper to those of Irish ones? Hmm yeah, the only possible explanation is some sort of exceptional cruelty to animals.

Well for a start (ignoring the price) all broiler chickens are treated horrifically, and these €2 chickens aren't free-range.

Secondly, think about it logically. Why is free-range chicken more expensive, and broiler chicken (like this) so cheap? Because they can churn out 100's of these cruelly treated chickens for a fraction of the cost of a fairly treated free range chicken.

Just look up the conditions these chickens are kept in for yourself, I won't even tell you because obviously I'm biased being vegetarian. So read unbiased information which is readily available on google or whatever. You will get a shock.

I mean apart from the disgusting life they live, the only thing stopping them being boiled alive to de-feather them is their head passing through electric water to shock them, which only works a certain percentage of the time. So millions of these chickens are literally being boiled to death.

Now following from that, how could they make the chickens even cheaper (like these €2 fellas) to sell more? Remove that electric water shocking machine and just directly boil them all alive. Woo! Cheap chickens! More money for the chicken factories! Hoorah!!

You'll have to forgive me , and the people who thanked my first post, for not wanting to fund that sort of industry.

And this is without even mentioning certain a certain fried chicken fast food restaurant chain, who literally kick the chickens around the factory and stamp them to death.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What's happened this forum this week? feckin mobile rants and now chickens, they're class A Irish and a bargain alert, period, take everything else to consumer issues or after hours
    Apols in advance mods in perpetuating the OT tangents

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Jaysus lads got 3 of these fine birds yeaterday, cooked one yesterday and im now enjoying a nice chicken sandwich with coleslaw:). I must admit there are quiet nice chickens, fair play to Lidl hopefully we will get ths offer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Well for a start (ignoring the price) all broiler chickens are treated horrifically, and these €2 chickens aren't free-range.

Secondly, think about it logically. Why is free-range chicken more expensive, and broiler chicken (like this) so cheap? Because they can churn out 100's of these cruelly treated chickens for a fraction of the cost of a fairly treated free range chicken.

Just look up the conditions these chickens are kept in for yourself, I won't even tell you because obviously I'm biased being vegetarian. So read unbiased information which is readily available on google or whatever. You will get a shock.

I mean apart from the disgusting life they live, the only thing stopping them being boiled alive to de-feather them is their head passing through electric water to shock them, which only works a certain percentage of the time. So millions of these chickens are literally being boiled to death.

Now following from that, how could they make the chickens even cheaper (like these €2 fellas) to sell more? Remove that electric water shocking machine and just directly boil them all alive. Woo! Cheap chickens! More money for the chicken factories! Hoorah!!

You'll have to forgive me , and the people who thanked my first post, for not wanting to fund that sort of industry.

It's worth pointing out a couple of things:

1. Free-range, organic, or broiler; they all get slaughtered the same way, so there's no difference in that respect.

2. You neglected to mention that between the electric shock and scalding, the chicken's necks are cut and drained of blood, so there's not much hope of them lasting long enough to worry about being scalded to death.

3. No-one is about to allow the removal of shocking/gassing from the slaughter process, so why pretend otherwise?

4. Living conditions for broiler chickens aren't nice at all. But living conditions for egg-laying chickens aren't much better, and they live much longer lives. I'd start with eggs rather than broiler chicken if humane treatment of poultry is your major concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This is the second Super Saturday Lidl thread I've locked.

I understand some people are very passionate about the treatment of animals and even the absolute criminal markup farmers make on chickens but irregardless of this, this is not the place to discuss it.

In these difficult times, the majority of people aren't gonna stop buying chickens at a cheap price due to the animal's living conditions or the terrible mark-up for farmers. It's unfortunate but true.. some of these same people have to feed 5 or 6 family members while paying a mortgage and the cost of living is at an all time high.

Closed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement