Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must buy car tomorrow...Grand Vitara vs Rav4 vs Terios

Options
  • 22-04-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hello all,

Looking for a small(ish) 4x4, I do about 40 miles a day, and weekends take me off the beaten track when shooting...

Going to look at 3 cars tomorrow, and would like opinions...

1. 2007 Rav4, 30k, 2.0 Petrol, Manual, FSH, 5 door, approx 17k euro

2. 2007 Daihatsu Terios, 25k, 1.5 Petrol, 5 door, Automatic, approx 15k euro

3. 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara, 23k, 1.9 petrol, 5 door, manual, approx 16k euro.

Not pushed about diesel, looked at an Xtrail today, but have heard bad things about turbo/intercooler failures on the 2.2 Diesels. Petrol models are mostly 2WD...

Let me know your opinions and experiences with any of the above...

Cheers & thanks,

Mick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Sorry, no experience of any of em - limit myself to squeeze,bang,blow,suck. Once you introduce a bright spark, the problems begin. From experience of other Daihats petrols(sisters) they are almost indestructable. But, so are the zukis and the Ravs. You pays your money, takes your chances. I would take a Terios, but they are narrow, so, are you wide? If not, cant really go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kildareeman

buy a rav4 cant go wrong with a toyota.Stay away from terios unless you want a jeep that handles like a wheel barrow and is a ragging alco doing less than 30 mpg.The terios have to be one of the worst pieces of **** i have ever driven.Buy a pajero junior there small and classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Terios is loosely based on the old model Rav4 and a lot better than the previous one.
    Of the 3 the Rav is the best value. but that's only cos the other too are so dear.

I dont think any diahatsu is a piece of sh1t. They are so closely allied to toyota as to be clones. The terios is thirsty because it has a 1.3l motor pulling along a 4wdrivetrain + body, but the thirst is offset by the unbrakability. The Rav is not exactly a fuel miser either. Have a look on carsurvey.com, you can compare each on there. Who buys a 4wd for economy, its like buying a hammer for its ability to tighten bolts. You buy a 4wd for its ability to go where a 2wd wont. And very,very few people really need a 4wd. Lots of em think they need one though.

old
    previous_daihatsu_terios.jpg

new
    20060213-daihatsu-terios-2007.jpg

new one a good bit wider and nicely finished. still not as big as the other 2 though.

• Advertisement

I dont know about you Colm, but I always rated the Terios for being good at what it was, ie a mini 4*4, new one is nice looking too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

.......... cant go wrong with a toyota...............

:D:D:D:D

Oh yes you can. Toyota are, now, among the also-rans when it comes to motoring quality.

Google, vvti engine failures, Landcruiser valve seals, and all the braking/accelerator failures we have had recently?

RAV is a dung-pile.

If the criteria is as stated, buy a SUBARU. The most reliable and most functional AWD car you will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Gophur wrote: »

Oh yes you can. Toyota are, now, among the also-rans when it comes to motoring quality.

Google, vvti engine failures, Landcruiser valve seals, and all the braking/accelerator failures we have had recently?

RAV is a dung-pile.

If the criteria is as stated, buy a SUBARU. The most reliable and most functional AWD car you will get.
    OP didn't ask for an AWD, he wanted a 4WD, there is a difference.
    Braking/accelerator failures, Where? I heard about some problems in the US but not here AFAIK.
    Landcruiser valve seals? News to me, which engine?
    I know that some D4D engines have sludged the oil due to injector blowby.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    OP didn't ask for an AWD, he wanted a 4WD, there is a difference...............

For this enquiry, AWD would suffice. By mentioning he was considering the RAV, Suzuki and Daihatsu, he obviously was not 100% dependant on 4WD. For his requirement the SUBARU AWD system would more than suffice. For €10k he'll get a great car.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Landcruiser valve seals? News to me, which engine?
    I know that some D4D engines have sludged the oil due to injector blowby.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055888741

I have had three Toyotas in recent years, and will never buy the marque again. They are not any more reliable than anyone else and their driving experience will suck the will to live out of you.

RAV is a dung-pile.
    How many of these issues does the Rav have?

Oh yeah, none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055888741

I have had three Toyotas in recent years, and will never buy the marque again. They are not any more reliable than anyone else and their driving experience will suck the will to live out of you.
    That thread refers to the Inj blowby issue on the D4D engines not valve seals, if you are going to reference issues at least take the time to inform yourself of what they are.

I beg to differ my 97 Landcruiser has over 250k on the original 1KZTE engine and clutch.
    Never had to fit more than Timing belts, starter motor and a new rad in that time.
    My wifes 00 Corolla has 80k on it now with a Vvti engine and has only had a clutch in that time.

If thats not reliable I don't know what is.

For this enquiry, AWD would suffice. By mentioning he was considering the RAV, Suzuki and Daihatsu, he obviously was not 100% dependant on 4WD. For his requirement the SUBARU AWD system would more than suffice. For €10k he'll get a great car.

And for another €10K he will be able to put fuel in it for a couple of months. Economical they aint. And a lot of people will tell you that they aint all that reliable either. And before you fart on me, my daughter has one, and I paid for it, and I like them(i presume you were referring to a Legacy), But economical they aint.

My goodness, there are a lot of very sensitive souls here! Toyota shareholders, too, by the sounds of it.

OP stated annual mileage will be in the region of 10k to 12 miles. A 2 litre SUBARU will get the same mpg as a 2 litre(petrol) RAV, which is what he referenced.

RAV4 are not a good car. They're not an off-road car.

For the specifications mentioned in the OP, the SUBARU is eminently qualified.

€7k would get you this

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Forester/X--AWD%23F/201011197293879/advert?channel=CARS

A hell of a lot better value than what RAV you'll get for €7k

OP, just bear in mind, Toyotas are nothing out of the ordinary. All that talk about "Quality" and "The best built car in the world"? Baloney.

Vote with your wallet.

How good is a Forester off road compared to a Rav4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

So OP, what did you buy?

A Daewoo:D

Advertisement