Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interesting trailer idea

Options
  • 22-04-2010 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

129153962556579070.jpg

or somewhere to keep the kids on a long journey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The old Renault 4 van used to be very popular for this, made a grand little box trailer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Land Rover rear tubs was another common one. The EU fun police have knocked home-made trailers on the head in the UK, all new builds have to be type approved, won't be suprised if testing and registration happen in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

Rovi wrote: »
    The old Renault 4 van used to be very popular for this, made a grand little box trailer. :D

I remember those!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

101sean wrote: »
    Land Rover rear tubs was another common one. The EU fun police have knocked home-made trailers on the head in the UK, all new builds have to be type approved, won't be suprised if testing and registration happen in the long run.
    Thats standard practice in New Zealand, all trailer have individual plates and tests for safety, homemade or not.
    The EU just make it so you can't do anything yourself.

Same in Germany, Spain and several other EU countries. I know several military vehicle owners who have problems with getting trailers with NATO hitches registered.

NZ and Oz are a bit enlightened in allowing home builds and mods. Vehicle modifications also have to be appproved by an engineer and have a plate to that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

[QUOTE=101sean;65540230 The EU fun police have knocked home-made trailers on the head in the UK, all new builds have to be type approved[/QUOTE]

Yeah? Since when?

All hitches and suspensions I knew about, didnt know all trailers had to be type approved now too.

Taken from another forum. I suppose you can still build a trailer using type approved couplings and suspension, just won't be able to sell it. Doesn't apply to existing trailers so don't how you'd stand converting an old caravan trailer in to bike trailer or whatever.
    European Whole Vehicle Type Approval for new trailer 'types' comes into force on 31st October this year. After that date, anyone manufacturing a new trailer type will be required to have it type approved before using it or offering it for sale.
    If you are already manufacturing a particular type of trailer, you have longer to get it approved - dates depend on what it is.

All trailers, no matter how small, will fall under these regs - even the little tin jobs you can buy at Halfords etc.
    For interest, other things that will now involve type approval are new vehicle conversions such as adaptions to carry wheelchairs and some camper conversions.
    http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=18900 (link to directive off that site doesn't work though)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

we used to have half a Transit as a trailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Its a pity these types of trailers are dying out, because they look so classy and professional. I cant see why anybody would want to buy an Ifor Williams when you could have a Halfa-Banga. That Mitsi-bitsi would look lovely parked outside your house, really improve the tone.Anyone for a bit of Tarmac?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I can't see any other uses for a 3.0 V6 Pajero to be honest :D

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I can't see any other uses for a 3.0 V6 Pajero to be honest :D

Hens love em - they can perch on the headrests and lay onto the seat squabs.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

dunsandin wrote: »
    Its a pity these types of trailers are dying out, because they look so classy and professional. I cant see why anybody would want to buy an Ifor Williams when you could have a Halfa-Banga. That Mitsi-bitsi would look lovely parked outside your house, really improve the tone.Anyone for a bit of Tarmac?

R U FOR REAL?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

R U FOR REAL?

all of your posts involve SHOUTING AT PEOPLE! do you have a Caps Lock key on your keyboard by any chance? :)

ah come on tho, they do look a bit...how do i put it...can't offend certain minorities...?

:D

R U FOR REAL?

In as much as what? Would you like your builder or whatever to turn up towing one of these? Claaaassseeeey!!! Really projecting a good image. Probably ok if you live in the 4rse end of missisippi tho. If you want a trailer, buy a damn trailer. Are u for real!!! Puhlease.. All you'd need would be to tow it with an '89 liteace with magnetic signwriting, while wearing torn flares and a five day stubble. Get a filter. trouble sorted.

coolmoose wrote: »
    all of your posts involve SHOUTING AT PEOPLE! do you have a Caps Lock key on your keyboard by any chance? :)

ah come on tho, they do look a bit...how do i put it...can't offend certain minorities...?

:D

correction - all of my posts YESTERDAY were in caps lock. dodgy keyboard at work.:D:D:D:D

dunsandin wrote: »
    In as much as what? Would you like your builder or whatever to turn up towing one of these? Claaaassseeeey!!! Really projecting a good image. Probably ok if you live in the 4rse end of missisippi tho. If you want a trailer, buy a damn trailer. Are u for real!!! Puhlease.. All you'd need would be to tow it with an '89 liteace with magnetic signwriting, while wearing torn flares and a five day stubble. Get a filter. trouble sorted.

shes classy alrite.....:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Yep, type approval for trailors is on the way, all our home builds will be a thing of the past. As an aside, its been illegal to carry people in a trailer for years, and before someone mentions the bendy buses the definition is that if it needs to require a workshop to disconnect it it ain't a trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

can you tow a trailer in ireland with an ordinary full licence

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

can you tow a trailer in ireland with an ordinary full licence

short answer...yes, up to 750kgs generally...it's a lot more complex than that. have a read through this forum, this has been answered before, in fact only quite recently.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055897264

Fishtits wrote: »
    Yep, type approval for trailors is on the way, all our home builds will be a thing of the past. As an aside, its been illegal to carry people in a trailer for years, and before someone mentions the bendy buses the definition is that if it needs to require a workshop to disconnect it it ain't a trailer.

Im gonna weld the hitch shut on mine when its attatched-that would require a workshop to remove it, so it would stop being a trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Deadly Dave

Heres another one for you.

027.jpg

Now thats a trailer!! Or somwhere to put the missus on a long trip.:)

Now this is a proper trailer, made to tow behind a Land Rover and carry 9 Rapier Missiles :D

Typically over engineered military, despite being mostly ally it weighs 3/4t empty and is very nose heavy. Carries my camping gear although I have had missiles in it back in the UK.

100_1509.jpg

Looks a bit like a trailer tent to me.:D What did you use the rapiers for? I hear if you hollow them out they make lovely fence posts.

You could kip in the trailer, has an 8x4 loadbed.

The military vehicle group I was a member of in the UK have 2 Rapier missile launchers and a Blindfire tracker which I used to tow. Mostly donated by BAe but we did buy 3 more launchers. We ended up with 26 drill missiles and heaps of other bits that were being scraped.

If you really want to worry the neighbours, we've still got a launcher for sale ;)

Our launchers at Military Odyessey 2006
    100_0594.jpg

Cool looking alrite.

Advertisement