Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trading Question

Options
  • 22-04-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Is it possible in any way to trade from Generation 1 or 2 games to Generation 3? (i.e from Yellow or Crystal to Ruby) I want to try and bring my Mew over but I'm not entirely sure I can. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

In short no

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Blast, as I thought. Thanks. That makes the hour and a half I just spent catching Mew entirely useless. I really should've asked before I went catching the damn thing.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

i think its a real shame that it cant be done. But the fact that they have remade the games is good. At least all the older pokemon are still available. ne of the best things about the recent pokemon games is the fact that you can trade between games

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

The long answer involves:
    "Trading from Generations I and II to Generation III or Generation IV is impossible for two reasons. Firstly, hardware reasons prevent a GBA game from linking to a Gameboy Color game. Secondly, the Pokémon data structure was changed significantly, and the two are no longer compatible." - Bulbapedia

Or
    "Now, some of you are asking, Can I trade my Level 100 Lugia to Ruby or things to that effect. Well, to put it blunt. No you cant. Unfortunately the old games [Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal] are incompatible with the new games [Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen]. You are unable to trade your hard trained Pokémon to the new Generation of games. This has angered many people.

There are a couple of reasons that Nintendo have done this:
    1. The Link Cable. A Minor thing, but the GameBoy Advance Link Cable sends data a different way from the standard Game Boy. Pokémon trading in old games took time. You sent a Pokemon then recieved one. In the new cables, you send and recieve at the exact same time
    2. The IV system. In Red to Crystal, all Pokémon's IVs were between 0 and 15 allowing them to be set around there. However in the new generation of games, IVs are on a system of between 0 and 31 giving more variety in Pokémon. Transferring them would cause major problems which is why Nintendo Opted out"
    - Serebii

Advertisement