Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

david brown 1410

Options
  • 22-04-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

hi guys does anybody know anything about the david brown 1410 4 wd iv just bought one a bit of a rust bucket but going well im hoping to do it up a bit are they reliable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

you probably should have asked before you bought it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 baler

i like doing up old machinery so even if i bought a total crock i will enjoy trying to sort it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

baler wrote: »
    i like doing up old machinery so even if i bought a total crock i will enjoy trying to sort it:)

Have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

http://www.dbtc.co.uk

Anything you will need to know is on there...
    Use it all the time for info on our 996....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

hi guys does anybody know anything about the david brown 1410 4 wd iv just bought one a bit of a rust bucket but going well im hoping to do it up a bit are they reliable.

You seem to have bought an eclectic selection of junk machinery recently. I hope you are not seriously planning on taking the stuff out on hire!

• Advertisement

I AM USING THE MACHINERY FOR MY OWN WORK .BUT IF I WANTEDTO I COULD DO A BIT OF HIRE AS I HAVE REPAIRED MOST OF THEM AND THEY ALL WORK WELL THE BOYS WITH TH NEW STUFF DONT SEEM TO KNOW WHAT A SPANNER IS FOR IN MY EXPERIENCE THEY DRIVE THEM INTO THE GROUND THEN GO BORROW ANOTHER LOAD OF MONEY AND STRESS ABOUT REPAYMENTS FOR ANOTHER 5 YRS NOT MY IDEA OF FUN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I AM USING THE MACHINERY FOR MY OWN WORK .BUT IF I WANTEDTO I COULD DO A BIT OF HIRE AS I HAVE REPAIRED MOST OF THEM AND THEY ALL WORK WELL THE BOYS WITH TH NEW STUFF DONT SEEM TO KNOW WHAT A SPANNER IS FOR IN MY EXPERIENCE THEY DRIVE THEM INTO THE GROUND THEN GO BORROW ANOTHER LOAD OF MONEY AND STRESS ABOUT REPAYMENTS FOR ANOTHER 5 YRS NOT MY IDEA OF FUN

Well said!
    I have an old DB 995. It's over 30 yrs old. I drive it most days. I took the final drives off there last year to replace the brake liners. It was perfect inside in it. If you dont abuse them, they will go forever.
    Is the cab raised, or the older style with the seat down lower?

mine has the raised black cab she sounds like a powerfull old girl but time will tell the david brown seems to be an easy tactor to work on are the brakes a hard job thank god mine are o k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

Speaking of cabs on Davy Browns, have a look at this: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/1276486

I could be wrong, but I doubt the Fritzmeier was ever standard on the 1210.

@baler: I have more old machinery than most (2x Welger RP12s, 2x Ford 4600, Ford 550, Ford 4000, Kv 7510 wrapper, Krone AM243cv and various other relics), and they do work, but I would never dream of even thinking I'm in the same league as they guys with modern machines.

We only do our own silage, and actively discourage (refuse) hire work for all but near neighbours when they are caught. We don't get breakdowns, but only because I have a policy of rebuilding one machine a year... i.e. the wrapper is stipped down to its component parts at the moment with every bearing to be seen being replaced whether needed or not.

you have a lovely selection of machines there maidhc and you obviously know how to look after them i have sorted every bit of the wrapper last week and also the baler all new bearings in reel tine bar chains etc tractors fully serviced etc its maintenance or lack of it that stops machinery not age and when you own the gear you can afford to be a few acres behind the boys with the expensive gear

• Advertisement

mine has the raised black cab she sounds like a powerfull old girl but time will tell the david brown seems to be an easy tactor to work on are the brakes a hard job thank god mine are ok

The brake liners were easy enough. I had the back wheels off getting new tyres so I did both jobs together.
    I'm having a lot of trouble with the master cylinders on both the brakes and clutch. The raised cab versions have these, whereas the old cab type had foot pedals working direct to the brakes and clutch. They're leaking a lot and I've replaced the seals twice already. OK on the brake side as I can use the handbrake if I'm stuck:rolleyes:, but if the clutch side leaks, you cant drive it at all.

i had better get a set of seals for her so . where would be a good source of spare parts?.are th hydraulics strong in the david brown's?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

pakalasa wrote: »
    The brake liners were easy enough. I had the back wheels off getting new tyres so I did both jobs together.
    I'm having a lot of trouble with the master cylinders on both the brakes and clutch. The raised cab versions have these, whereas the old cab type had foot pedals working direct to the brakes and clutch. They're leaking a lot and I've replaced the seals twice already. OK on the brake side as I can use the handbrake if I'm stuck:rolleyes:, but if the clutch side leaks, you cant drive it at all.

had this yesterday on the 1412, oil leaking somewhere near the cylinder, filled with oil and away she went! someone said you can use milking machine oil in these?

Guys,

This is the old thread where it was discussed before.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055613898

As for a source of parts for DB's. - ask around your area. There's bound to be a local guy (theres 2 near me) that sell old DB's. A lot of these were DB agents in the old days, but are still kept going doing up old ones and selling parts to farmers. They know these tractors inside out aswell - trust me a good source of info.

Get one of these manuals aswell - hers one for a 1412
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0872883655/tractordata-20

They are well worth the money.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

maybe a tad over priced, but looks fairly straight

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/1291244

atkins in cork used to do db parts as did alexander mills

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

snowman707 wrote: »
    maybe a tad over priced, but looks fairly straight

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/1291244

atkins in cork used to do db parts as did alexander mills

still do but the lad in cork that knows alot about them is either due for retirement or gone

Advertisement