Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blind psychic?

Options
  • 22-04-2010 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if there is a blind psychic and would they get images in their head?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sharon Neil is a blind psychic, I think from Northern Ireland. I asked her that question. Although blind from birth she said she does see images mentally. I forget whether that is her main way of receiving information though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

How does that work..

Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Oryx wrote: »
    Sharon Neil is a blind psychic, I think from Northern Ireland.

Yeah, she's the only blind psychic/medium I know of. I think she's currently based in Co. Antrim.

Oryx wrote: »
    I asked her that question. Although blind from birth she said she does see images mentally. I forget whether that is her main way of receiving information though.

In her book 'Second Sight', she first talks about how she dreamed in her childhood. It's very interesting. She says...

"Blind people, as I've mentioned, are not generally thought to dream in images since, without any visual references, the brain is not able to translate data into pictures. It would be like downloading a file into a computer without the software to translate it. When sighted people dream, they use all five senses in the same way as they would in the waking state. When blind people dream, their four functioning senses come to the fore - sound, smell, taste, and touch - but not sight.

My dreams were different. I was taken to beautiful places where all my senses were awakened. I would find myself standing in an incredible wonderland, surrounded by the sounds of nature. Running water from streams, fountains or waterfalls blended with bird song and the buzzing of insects. Yet it wasn't just the sounds that made these places special for me. It was the fact that I could see. I could actually see the short, velvety, green grass I was standing on, and the rolling hills and trees around me.

At first, I was completely unnerved by what was happening. How could I visualise grass as well as touch it? How could I walk around this place without being guided by someone? Why didn't I have this freedom during the day?

[...] Was I imagining this wonderland? All children have a secret place they visit in their fantasies, but how can you conjure up an imaginary world if you've never seen the real world, never seen colours, a stream, a landscape? I was to discover that I could not only see colours in my dreams but I would be able to 'see' them when awake too."

Then she goes on to talk about how, when she was 10-years-old, two doctors came from Russia to her special needs school to research the possibility that blind children could identify primary colours by touch. She was one of the pupils who were selected for the experiment. She writes...

Every colour had a unique temperature. It is no myth that blue is a cold colour and red is hot. With practice, I learned to distinguish between the hot and cold colours and the ones that were neither, such as yellow and green. They felt cooler than red but not as cold as blue. It didn't matter which texture of material we were given, the results were the same. Some days I got better results than others, but this depended on whether I was concentrating or not.

[...] The experiment with the colours marked another stage for me. In addition to the images that flashed into my mind, I began to get a heightened sense of the unseen visitors who invaded my dreams. It was as if they had been waiting for the opportunity to step up their campaign to attract my attention, to let me know that they hadn't given up trying to communicate directly with me. Their communication with me was very subtle at first - clearly my visitors didn't want to frighten me as they had initially done in the nightmares of five years before - but gradually I started to hear their voices during the day, and their approach was more child friendly this time. To begin with, the voices helped me with comparatively small things. I was doing a geography essay on the Masai people of Kenya and my unseen visitors gave me details and key words that weren't in the textbook: the Masai ate yams, not potatoes; yams were spelled 'y a m s'.

While I was writing an essay on the circulation of the blood , the voices pointed out that I had made a mistake: 'the veins bring blood back to the heart'. Just a light steer, but to a child of ten at school this was the kind of thing that mattered.

Then she details an incident where she was 'informed' by those voices before a classmate had an epilpetic seizure...
    One such pupil was a girl named Heather, who came to Jordanstown from England. She was partially sighted and she also had mild epilepsy. The other children made fun of her accent and teased her about the epilepsy, accusing her of putting the fits on to avoid lessons.

The two of us were in the changing rooms one day getting ready for PE, when suddenly I heard a voice in my mind warning that Heather was about to have a seizure. Then a dizziness came over me and I felt cold and confused.

Heather hadn't said anything to me, and it would have seemed very odd to ask her in detail, and in front of everyone, about how she was feeling; more importantly, I didn't want to draw attention to her as I knew the seizures embarassed her. I waited until we were warming up outside on the hockey pitch before asking her quietly if she was all right. She insisted she was.

'Trust yourself, Sharon. Wait and see what happens,' said a voice in my head.

Just before the end of the lesson Heather went into a seizure. Later, I asked her to describe the sensations she experienced immediately before the fit. They were exactly what I had felt in the changing room. The voice had been right.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    How does that work..

Very interesting.

Sharon talks a fair bit about how it works and how it progressed from the early stages, and mentions a reading she did for a fella years ago. It seems to me that she possesses a combination of clairvoyance, clairaudience (hearing), and clairsentience (feeling).

Something altogether new and startling began to happen to me when I turned seven. Unusually for a blind person, I had always dreamed in images and in colour. Now, images started miraculously to appear in my head when I was awake. My unseen visitors were connecting with me during the day.

Pictures were projected on to my mind as if it were a screen - I could see them just as if I had been sighted. They would usually be of an object and, at the same time as seeing this in my mind's eye, I might also experience the sensation of touching it. Sometimes the image was a written message - as if printed on a page, the letters clearly recognisable even though I had only ever experienced Braille and raised print.

[...] The images were never to do with me; I never saw my clothes or my personal belongings, for example; they would always relate to something external, something going on around me or at school.

Then she talks about her experience with nature as a child.
    When I touched a tree, it felt warm to my fingers, no matter what the ambient temperature - I could feel the energy coming from it. I learned to tell the difference between one tree and another from the temperature of the energy it gave off. An oak would feel warm to the touch but have a strong pulsing sensation emanating in waves up and down the trunk. A horse chesnut's energy would be cooler and the pulse weaker and slower.

When I examined a bluebell gently with my fingertips, the warmth it gave off was not the same as that of a rose. It had a lighter energy. And when the flowers were picked, I experienced a sense of sadness; I fancied that if the flowers could speak they would have screamed. These observations seemed as normal to me as breathing; it was, after all, what we were on the nature walk to learn, so I never discussed my discoveries with the teacher or my friends.

The emotional aspect of this strange sensitivity came over me more powerfully the first time I was taken to the zoo. I could feel the frustration of the caged animals. I was there in the cage experiencing the loathing of being confined behind bars and not being able to tell anyone how I felt. I am not Dr Doolittle and I can't talk to animals - I was simply tuning into their auras.

Everything is made up of energy. We know there are different forms of it: electrical, thermal, mechanical, nuclear, for example. There is another type of energy called electromagnetism, commonly known as the aura. Everything has an aura - humans, animals, minerals, and plants. [...]

I remember a consultation with a man who had tried to open himself up to his psychic abilities by reading a manual on psychic development. He explained that the spirits who were communicating with him were aggressive and would tell him that his friends and family thought he was a failure and didn't love or respect him. This plunged him into a depression and he had resorted to drugs and self-harm to eradicate the frustration and anger that these revelations triggered.

I urged him to seek professional help from his doctor because I knew he was not receiving spirit communication at all but suffering from mental problems, released by his do-it-yourself attempt to open his mind.

In this case, it was obvious that my client wasn't in touch with spirits. It is highly unlikely that anyone who is genuinely in communication with the spirit world would receive such destructive messages. However, not every case is as clear cut and, when dealing with potential students, mediums need to be guided by their instincts as well as by the advice they are given by their own guides from the spirit world.

Yet, conversely, I do believe that some patients who are treated for psychological conditions may be receiving communication from the spirit world. And it would be no bad thing for psychologists and psychiatrists to study the theory of mediumship when they are assessing patients in order to rule out this possibility. These professionals need to be more open to the fact that a patient can in fact be receiving messages from spirits. Mediums should be used to work alongside health professionals when patients in psychiatric units are being assessed, as only mediums have the skills to tune into patients on a psychic level.

Alas, one of the basic problems with psychology and psychiatry is that psychic abilities are not accepted by the medical professions. Psychologists will maintain that belief in a world beyond ours is wishful thinking. They will argue that when we dream about meeting and talking to loved ones that it is the subconscious trying to work through, and end, the grieving process.

I disagree with this theory and can speak from personal experience. As a neutral channel of communication and for the benefit of their loved ones left behind, I can talk to many people who have passed on, but I still can't talk to my own grandparents. It is too emotional for me. So they usually come to me when I am in the dream state and pass any messages to me then. It is common to dream of meeting loved ones who have passed on and for them to communicate with us in dreams. This is because it is easier for them to come to us when we are relaxed and therefore more receptive and less likely to be frightened.

This was precisely why my unseen visitors approached me first in my dreams when I was a child, although I sometimes wonder why they didn't back off immediately when I got frightened. Perhaps they simply miscalculated. But, with hindsight, I think it was a strategic move on their part. If the voices hadn't come to me when I was so young and impresssionable, I might not laer have connected the nightmares with other unusual happenings in my life and would not have realised the voices were part of a bigger plan.

[...] As my own psychic development continued, I learned that I could use my abilities to help people, not just in the meetings, but with private readings. These are one-to-one sessions conducted in private, rather like a consultation, and I continued to practice on my friends - more for fun than anything else - clearing my mind and waiting for someone to come through to me from the spirit world with a message for the person with me. It was tricky at first because I had to learn to distinguish between my own thoughts and the information I was getting from my voices. I quickly learned to rely on the voices, however, as the information I received from them was pretty accurate.

There is a particular case that sticks in my mind. A student came to me for a reading but was very dubious about my talents. He wasn't one of my friends so I didn't know anything about him, and not knowing what he looked like either, I had no non-verbal cues. His name was English, so I assumed that he was English, but I was wrong. As I listened to my voices, I discovered that he had lived in Singapore as a child and I was able to give him information about the precise area as well as details about his grandmother who had passed on.

Sharon talks about a more sinister incident that occurred in the '80s when she was conducting readings...
    In fact, my team (spirit guide team) does send me warnings on rare occasions, and I do well to take note. In the late 1980s, I had an evening booking at an address in Belfast for a group reading. Throughout the day I got messages from my team urging me not to go. I didn't ignore them but I felt bound to honour my booking. Normally I'd receive a confirmation call, but in this instance no-one rang me and in the end, I tried to phone the person who'd made the booking. The number did not exist. So I asked a taxi driver friend of mine to check out the address. It turned out to be a derelict building. To this day I don't know if the booking was a hoax or something more sinister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Very interesting mate. Thanks for that :)

I have seen Sharon on TV and i have met her in person and have seen her in action and i am pretty sure she is blind in her third eye too.

I gave her the benifit of doubt when she made it onto TV's worst moments. But seeing her was the nail in the coffin .

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ive never had a reading from her, but spoke to some who did, they found her good. How bad was it, Dre?

Myself and another boardsie had an evening with her. Stoner got to spend more time with her then me. but from what i saw she honestly came across as a gimmick.
    If there was any kind of noise (It was a ghost) If there was a draft (it was a ghost)
    Steve Parsons from Parascience was bringing up the fact that you cannot rule out the possability that some psychics are delusional.
    This was not aimed at her he was pointing out how hard it is to find real psychics now a days. Some are Delusional and believe they are , some are pretenders and are doing it for financialy gain.
    She took great offence to this and screamed that she was not delusional . I was very intersted in seeing her as she was trying to give readings to an audience on TV and got nothing right.

Im not saying that she is not psychic but from what i have seen of her, she is nothing special either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Traze

My self and my sister went to see sharon. now me i am a very open minded person when it comes to mediums and will never give nothing away with them, but i will give sharon one thing, she new nothing about me or my sisters but yet she was spot on with very personal things she said to me that no one could of know about. But again everyone has had a dealing with her and of course everyone will have a difference of opinion, but mine i will say was a positive meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

[...]from what i saw she honestly came across as a gimmick.
    If there was any kind of noise (It was a ghost) If there was a draft (it was a ghost)

Lol. :pac:
    Steve Parsons from Parascience was bringing up the fact that you cannot rule out the possibility that some psychics are delusional.
    This was not aimed at her. He was pointing out how hard it is to find real psychics nowadays. Some are Delusional and believe they are , some are pretenders and are doing it for financial gain.

That's a very good point. Someone was saying to me recently that they thought yer man Derek Acorah's heart is in the right place (and his hand is in the right wallet too :pac:), but that he's probably delusional. It's a pity that there probably are a fair few delusional people out there these days who believe they're psychic when the evidence (reviews of their readings and what-not) is to the contrary. It's disappointing really. I've only met a handful of genuinely psychic people. I can count them on one hand easily.
    She took great offence to this and screamed that she was not delusional.

That's the best laugh I've had all week. :pac: The image of her going mental over it in her strong Northern accent. My bad. :D
    I was very intersted in seeing her as she was trying to give readings to an audience on TV and got nothing right.

Yeah, I would have been interested in seeing her in action as well because I had/have heard more good than bad about her 'abilities'. One fella who strongly endorses her is Mark Hamilton, the bass player from the Co. Down band Ash. In her book, she says she removed spirits that were attached to his aura over several months. She says that he came to her following his sister's reading from her and subsequent good review, because he was feeling drained, depressed and out-of-sorts. Sharon says that the reason for this was due to three spirits attaching themselves to Mark's aura after him being present in a room in L.A. while a ouija board session (in which he had not partook) was happening. She writes about how Mark was sceptical at first but how his whole view of the spirit world and all the rest of it has changed irrevocably. I don't know. Dunno what to think really. I'd have to see her myself.
    Im not saying that she is not psychic but from what i have seen of her, she is nothing special either.

You'd wonder about their 'abilities' when they turn out to be fairly sh*te in the flesh alright. I like to use my first-hand experiences to make up my mind about people, so I'm unconvinced when it's all a bit of a non-runner.

Advertisement