Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egrets/Grey Heron nesting area Co.Louth

Options
  • 22-04-2010 3:13pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just thought some of you might like to know about this, about a 5min drive outside of Drogheda an area called Beaulieu (see beaulieu house also) on the Baltray rd, there are quite a few Egrets, Grey Herons nesting. Also there are a lot of swans (some of them are really moody beware), water hens and ducks.

The area is directly across from Beaulieu House, it can ge a bit muddy !

Further down the road there are geese, the geese tend to flock together when the tide is out, in the fields beside Beaulieu House there many other birds along the coast road as well.

If your planing on photographing them you will need a 300+mm lens to get anything good. 400/500mm would be best suited.

A1148EAE61E54220997CC30330C56FC9-800.jpg

79A8FC2BE96445D982360769B6B04936-800.jpg

B5A7A7F48A6F4708BB13F21344EADC75.jpg

7BD241E7EF1D4E3C977AE735DF82BDDA.jpg

49CEFFD1E44145FAAF69B2A62144BEF4.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just in case you are asking locally for directions: Beaulieu is pronounced Bewley. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I had heard, but never seen pics before, that the Herons accept their Egret cousins in their heronries - might PC of them. Nice pics. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

There are plenty of herons and egrets nesting alongside each other in Waterford in the backstrand area of Tramore.
    Nice pics Chorcai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Although now I think about it it's the Egrets that are letting their Heron cousins in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

my dad mentioned the egrets to me this morning, good stuff. Love watching the grey Heron and their statue like behaviour as they stand in the water and then suddenly go down for their fish. their lovely big wings are so attractive. Praise the Lord is all I can say when looking at his such beautiful creation in action.

Wish I could drive, i'd be out to see those egrets. :(

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

my dad mentioned the egrets to me this morning, good stuff. Love watching the grey Heron and their statue like behaviour as they stand in the water and then suddenly go down for their fish. their lovely big wings are so attractive. Praise the Lord is all I can say when looking at his such beautiful creation in action.

Wish I could drive, i'd be out to see those egrets. :(

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Get the bus, I do !

100x to Drogheda 189 to Clogherhead, ask to be dropped off at Beaulieu House.

933DE3CED02044B1834F6AAFF564AD67-500.jpg

:D:D:D

Advertisement