Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unofficial guide to upgrading Samsung Spica i5700 to 2.1

Options
  • 22-04-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, so like many owners of the Spica I was sick of waiting for o2 to come up with the 2.1 upgrade that many other countries have so here's a quick guide for how to do it - I did it last night and it's great!

Do a back up of all your data - this process will restore you to factory settings b4 upgarding so make sure you've got everything backed up!

You need to ensure you have a copy of Samsung PC studio installed (sorry Mac users!) but don't have it running (It can run in the background so make sure to kill it completely!)

On the Spica:

1 - Settings > About the phone > other parameters > uncheck mass storage
    2 - Parameters > Application > Developpement, check debugging mode
    3 - Remove SIM and SD
    4 - Do a hard reset, dialing *2767*3855#

On the PC:
    5 - Download the firmware
    6 - Download Odin http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J2JCKWQ9

On the Spica:
    6 - Shut Down the spica and unplug it
    7 - Press "Volume down" + "Camera" + "ring off button/power" to turn the phone into Download mode.
    8. Ensure programs such as Samsung Studio and dev programs such as eclipse are not running.
    8 - Plug the usb

On the PC
    9 - Launch ODIN with admin rights

This is what you should see, Check "One Package"

odiny.jpg

If the phone is not detected it means that the right drivers are not installed. Ensure you have the PC Samsung Studio installed.

10 - Fill the OPS and OnePackage lines browsing the 2 files of the firmware you downloaded :

11 - Click on start
    12 - After the Spica has rebooted, you can turn it off to insert SD and SIM

If you hit start and nothing happens and it hangs on "setup connection.." for more than a few minutes, take out the phone battery and start it up again doing the "Volume down" + "Camera" + "ring off button/power" combination. I had to do this a number of times before it worked.

Hope that was helpful! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm updating the forum's Android FAQ at the weekend. I'll include this... good job.

Advertisement