Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Exchange Student

Options
  • 22-04-2010 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,

The company I work for has taken on a French student for the next five months. I am more concerned that he might be a little lonely as he has no friends travelling with him. Are there any groups in Dublin where he can mix with other exchange students where they go on social outings or help him improve his English.

Can anyone recommend an on-line English course where he could take an hour out every day and study.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 O.

City?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Maybe you should organise for him to go to some events in the Alliance Francaise on Kildare street in Dublin. They usually have cultural events all the time (www.alliance-francaise.ie) throughout the year, and its administration is half Irish/ half French. Also I think the illac centre (library near it, I think) organise language exchanges between French and English people. It would be a good way to meet people and make friends. Or even encourage him to advertise his number/e-mail address to meet up with Irish people who want to learn French. I study French in university, and the noticeboards are full of these adverts. The scenario is you go for a coffee/ drink, and English and French is spoken, in a way that all the participants ideally practise language in the hoping of improving. It's also good for making friends, and practising your foreign languages in a non intensive setting.

This actual scenario reminds me of an internship I did at my dad's job, where there were Spanish interns who were a bit lost. Since their English wasn't good everyone kinda ignored them. Try to avoid this! maybe you should consider organsing a staff plus intern night out in a restaurant (Irish or French). Cliché as it might sound the French love food, plus (speaking from experience) being in a foreign country is very hard. Even harder when you're trying to learn the language, and you can't express/ interact as well as you would normally. Any interest to get to know the guy would be greatly appreciated, trust me! best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 O.

I missed the - Dublin -.

Illac is doing language exchange yes in the library, never been there - can't say if it's good.

Bring him with your lads when you're goin out, It will be a good way for him to improve his english on a Friday night Hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭JG1

Thanks folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

Would a group of ye not take him out on a Saturday or something and show him around?

I think AF is a great idea but some people coming to Ireland might want to get the Irish experience? Also maybe a local university has an International Society he could join?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 brenna826

there is a very good language and culture exchange group called "the Dublin french meetup group"
    http://www.meetup.com/The-Dublin-French-Meetup-Group/

Advertisement