Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did The Clash ever play the Trinity Ball?

Options
  • 22-04-2010 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Former Trinity Type Paul Cullen of the Irish Times made a nostalgic if slightly wrinkly return to his alma mater for this year's Trinity Ball and compared notes with the last time he was there a quarter of a century ago.

He claimed he saw the Cure play one year (which would put him there in 1981 when they did indeed headline in the Dining Hall) and that the Clash had played the year before he started.

I was there in 1980 but the Clash sure as hell weren't. I'd have remembered.

Any chance that they actually played there in the 1970s? I think it's a little unlikely.

The Smiths played there one year while I was there. And Orange Juice. As well as several up and coming Dublin bands who went on to greater things (eg Hothouse Flowers) as did many others who never went anywhere. Hands up all those who remember Rocky De Valera and the Gravediggers. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Former Trinity Type Paul Cullen of the Irish Times made a nostalgic if slightly wrinkly return to his alma mater for this year's Trinity Ball and compared notes with the last time he was there a quarter of a century ago.

He claimed he saw the Cure play one year (which would put him there in 1981 when they did indeed headline in the Dining Hall) and that the Clash had played the year before he started.

I was there in 1980 but the Clash sure as hell weren't. I'd have remembered.

Any chance that they actually played there in the 1970s? I think it's a little unlikely.

The Smiths played there one year while I was there. And Orange Juice. As well as several up and coming Dublin bands who went on to greater things (eg Hothouse Flowers) as did many others who never went anywhere. Hands up all those who remember Rocky De Valera and the Gravediggers. :eek:

I believe The Clash played in the Exam hall, though I don't know the year.

EDIT: The clash played the exam hall in '78

• Registered Users Posts: 38 damone

yep they definitely played trinity ,dont know what part,it was 78 or 79 !gerry ryan claimed on his show he was there a few years back even tho id heard him say 2 years earlier that he thought ALL punk music was **** and always did ,i know the punks in dublin were disgusted they played it too !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Wow. Did they really play the Trinity Ball, or just a commoner garden campus gig? Like everybody did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Wow. Did they really play the Trinity Ball, or just a commoner garden campus gig? Like everybody did?

Yup, they played the ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

Did U2 ever grace the stage at Trinity Ball?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ljy9fn7qwhgasx

The Clash definitely played the Exam Hall but it definitely wasn't the Ball. October 21, 1977. 'London's Burning' to start. Here's what The Irish Times archive has to say (doesn't read well, this sentence):

"Not only did the band have to contend with a terrible sound, over-excited fans but also had to endure almost continuous "gobbing" (spitting) during the roughly 50-minute set." Those were the days.

It'd be nice to stick the whole article up but it's probably verboten. You can get to it through the Library's 'databases and e-books' section online though; it's a decent read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭vladglenin

They were there this year, played in the Goldsmith Hall. They were in awe of the brilliant acoustics the hall had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Don't ever remember them playing the Trinity Ball but they did play the JCR in late 1979.

Lots of gobbing that night too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Bono and the Edge played the Buttery once too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Bono and the Edge played the Buttery once too.
    Sounds gross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

There was an article about this in this year's TN Ball Guide (page 16).

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭new fang

Jammyc wrote: »
    Sounds gross.
    The Bono and Edge part, right?

I've nothing against the Buttery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

new fang wrote: »
    The Bono and Edge part, right?

I've nothing against the Buttery.
    Well, I took "the buttery" almost as a verb first time I read it. Thats what prompted the post.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

I was in Trinity Ents between 77 and 81. U2 played plenty of times in college around 79/80. They were awful, we laughed at them they were so poor and took themselves so seriously. I remember a lunchtime gig in the JCR in Regent House with around 15 paying customers. Good times!

Advertisement