Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny literature articles!

Options
  • 21-04-2010 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

Came across these funny articles lately!!

The first, about a typo in Australia:
    PENGUIN Group Australia turns over $120 million a year from printing words but a one-word misprint has cost it dearly.

The publishing company was forced to pulp and reprint 7000 copies of Pasta Bible last week after a recipe called for "salt and freshly ground black people" — instead of pepper — to be added to the spelt tagliatelle with sardines and prosciutto.
    http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/books/hot-water-over-spell-check-20100417-sksv.html

And then this, 50 best author versus author put-downs of all time, such as:
    William Faulkner, according to Ernest Hemingway

Have you ever heard of anyone who drank while he worked? You're thinking of Faulkner. He does sometimes -- and I can tell right in the middle of a page when he's had his first one.

I like this one (that isn't listed there), Truman Capote on Jack Kerouac: "This isn't writing, it's typing''.

You're the man, Truman!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Poor Jack Kerouac! I didn't think his writing was that bad at all. And you went and put it in your signature, you nasty fellow!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

raah! wrote: »
    Poor Jack Kerouac! I didn't think his writing was that bad at all. And you went and put it in your signature, you nasty fellow!
    +1
    I think if the film is anything to go by Capote was quite a nasty fellow!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Does that fact that I put the quote in my sig before I created this thread count? :D

I like the quote more than the criticism; I don't dislike Jack Kerouc that much! And I really liked the only Faulkner book I ever read...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

In fairness it is a very good burn aswell though, taking into account how kerouac used to write :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's a great quote but I am firmly of the view that Kerouac didn't just type!;)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭sxt

1. Ernest Hemingway, according to Vladimir Nabokov (1972)

"As to Hemingway, I read him for the first time in the early 'forties, something about bells, balls and bulls, and loathed it."

Miaow! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I like this one (that isn't listed there), Truman Capote on Jack Kerouac: "This isn't writing, it's typing''.

You're the man, Truman!

Definition of Spite perhaps?!

On typing, I like this - '[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Don't be too harsh to these poems until they're typed. I always think typescript lends some sort of certainty: at least, if the things are bad then, they appear to be bad with conviction. ~Dylan Thomas, letter to Vernon Watkins, March 1938'[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

kerash wrote: »
    Definition of Spite perhaps?!

Well, there was that rumour going around that he was trying to take credit for Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird, and in the film of adaption of In Cold Blood he was pretty annoyed at Lee's success. So a spiteful character indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Well, there was that rumour going around that he was trying to take credit for Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird, and in the film of adaption of In Cold Blood he was pretty annoyed at Lee's success. So a spiteful character indeed!
    Ah I didnt know that. Yes he was horrible to her in that scene at the premier, jealous I suppose that he wasn't centre of attention!
    Capote is an interesting character de-spite :pac: :o

Advertisement