Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US vs EU

Options
  • 21-04-2010 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

Interested in getting a US copy of Wow and was wondering, if I order the battlechest from Amazon.com do they send the US or EU version or would I just get the Eu version from the co.uk website :confused:

Or would anyone know an easier way of getting a US copy of the game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Billing is gonna be the other point. One of our guys is in Canada and they frooze his account randomly one night when we were in ICC25, said there was questions over his account as it was European account and he was playin from Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Would'nt buying a brand new US Copy entitle you to a new US account :confused::confused: Only issue would be subscription as the Us gamecards cant be bought in Ireland. But a credit card would solve that right?? Or am I completely wrong.

Are you allowed to play on US servers if you live in the EU as long as you have a US account and Us copy of the game??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

He got it sorted like a day or 2 after. Just makin ya aware the might question it at some point if playin from the eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

i currently live in america, and playing on a EU server and paying subs by a US credit card.

I had various probelms with credit card not working and needing to email account and billing(took 3 days to sort out) loged on played for around 2 days, account got frozen due to playing in US. had to talk to account and billing again explaining my situtation and took me another 3-4 days to sort it out.

Unless there is a major reasoning behind it, i wouldnt suggest it. Also lag wise is fairly bad, i get on a good day 600ms

Few of my friends who play Wow have finally got me round to sign up but their all on a US server so not much point in me buying the game if I can't play with them :(

Might e-mail Blizz to see what the situation is with regard to playing from Ireland.

My router's pretty fast so hopefully connection issues should'nt be too much of an issue ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Used this Back in 06 when i downloaded a US trial of WoW, worked back then, dunno if it still does:confused:.

1- Go to your warcraft folder.
    2- Edit the file 'realmlist.wtf'

and just change the line there to

set realmlist eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com

to play on the EU servers and

set realmlist us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com

to play the US servers.

Whatever the main game was installed under will be managing the patches btw. So if you installed the US version and want to play EU servers .. when a patch comes out, you've to install the patch through the US client.

Works well, I do it with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Why Should I

Used this Back in 06 when i downloaded a US trial of WoW, worked back then, dunno if it still does:confused:.

1- Go to your warcraft folder.
    2- Edit the file 'realmlist.wtf'

and just change the line there to

set realmlist eu.logon.worldofwarcraft.com

to play on the EU servers and

set realmlist us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com

to play the US servers.

Whatever the main game was installed under will be managing the patches btw. So if you installed the US version and want to play EU servers .. when a patch comes out, you've to install the patch through the US client.

Works well, I do it with no problems.

You can still do it but, The realmlist.wtf has been relocated to
    dir\World of Warcraft\Data\enGB\realmlist.wtf

You will need to change it back for patchs/updates, But a part from thats its the same.

So I can log onto US servers with a european copy of the game by doing this?

When new patches come out do I need a US account to update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

ya can but you would need a US account, with a US battle.net

• Registered Users Posts: 81,892 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Play it safe: Contact the Billing Dept. by phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

so to be able to play on a US server you need a US account.
    You can add this to your current Battle.net account.
    You do not need to have a US battle.net account. US/EU are the same pretty much. (there was an issue before about loggin in during opposite maintenance. not anymore)
    You can do the trick with the realmlist.wtf to be able to play on the US. (Was stopped with a mini patch but seems to be working again alright)
    Come patch day though you need to update with the EU patch.
    US patch time the night before the EU so there could be a time of waiting. Not usually though. (Can get EU patches early off wowwiki patch mirror)
    There is no issue doing any of this above.
    Use a Credit Card to buy game time through B.net.

I started playing on US servers while living in NZ, moved back to ireland. Never had any issues with payment or being suspended for overseas.
    And if you ever do need to call US billing, it's free on skype. :D

Hi Jabberwock,

Thanks for the info, just took a look at the blizz.net store. Gonna order off their website just so they know I have an official copy but curious, if I order it from the US store do they send me a US copy or an Eu copy seeing as how I'll be using a european address :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

if you buy from the US site you get a US key.

You can digit download the game from inside Battle.net.
    Make sure to get a US trial and then upgrade it online.
    Download is ~6-7Gb and it simply unpacks itself and installs in one go. (I had to get it the time they "fixed" with the realmlist hack)
    Might have some difficulty upgrading it online as we don;t have zip/post codes but as I said US Blizzard Billing is free to call on Skype.

Advertisement