Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University Times - Student Newspaper of the Year

Options
  • 21-04-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

*Did search for the old thread*

Big congrats to TCDSU, Rob Donohue and to all those involved. TBH really cannot believe that the rag of The Record has become the award winning University Times.

Dan Sheehan also won Short Story of the year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Openmp

both college newspapers are a load of ****e. Who wants to read about homosexual rights in Cambodia, about some gimp's summer in India, or about F1 racing 2 weeks after the race?

The TN should focus on College news. The SU mouthpiece can pump each others' egos for all I care - as long as they compartmentalise it all in a publication that nobody reads anyway.

If you want to see quality publications where a spelling error is nowhere to be seen, look back to pre-1970s Trinity. They didn't have tools such as computerised layout, spell-checkers and digital camera back then. If anything, today's college newspapers are reflective of the state of Trinity and the so-called higher education system in particular. Most 18 year-olds that matriculate these days are illiterate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

Congrats to the University Times staff. I find both college newpapers to be consistently of a high standard. Trinity's students papers are simply a cut above the rest.

My only criticism would be those bloody awful opinion pieces. The paper should be for reporting the news and factual information only. Nobody wants to hear some spotty Marxist rebel's opinion on the banking crisis.

I'd really like to congratulate, frankly, I can't. These publications reflect negatively on the college. And that's taking the issue of literacy alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Fo Real wrote: »
    Congrats to the University Times staff. I find both college newpapers to be consistently of a high standard. Trinity's students papers are simply a cut above the rest.

My only criticism would be those bloody awful opinion pieces. The paper should be for reporting the news and factual information only. Nobody wants to hear some spotty Marxist rebel's opinion on the banking crisis.

Aren't the non-opinion pieces just SU gossip?

(not like i read newspapers or anything. Internet ftw!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The opinion pieces are complete trash (I still remember that joke of an article labelling the criticism of Ashley Cole as 'racism') And overall the paper is a waste of student's money, run by hacks generally for hacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Denerick wrote: »
    The opinion pieces are complete trash (I still remember that joke of an article labelling the criticism of Ashley Cole as 'racism') And overall the paper is a waste of student's money, run by hacks generally for hacks.

And yet a national awards body somehow manged to see past all this petty small mindedness to acknowledge the great work done by the team this year. So maybe your few is a little narrow and unrepresentative of the changes made in the Univesity Times. The Record when i was in first and 2nd year was a genuine embarassment. Smedia nominations in the past 2 years have been a sign of the improvements made by editors and Rob undertook a massive project this year, and was duely rewarded.

Denerick go get a soapbox. In the real world. I'll bring the rotten fruit.

No-one will listen to me if I start spouting off in Stephen's Green. Besides, awards ceremonies or not, I couldn't give a damn. I can only compare to what I read, and what I read isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I can only compare to what I read, and what I read isn't good.

Can you write better? Because if you can, I'm sure it'd be welcomed. Even opinion pieces, you certainly have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

No-one will listen to me if I start spouting off in Stephen's Green.

>> Implying people listen to you here

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Can you write better? Because if you can, I'm sure it'd be welcomed. Even opinion pieces, you certainly have them.

Whether I can write better or not is besides the point. In principle, getting older teenagers and people in their early twenties to write is good, whatever the circumstances. The more people thinking and writing the better. And I'm sure the people at the head of this newspaper act from very genuine sentiments - they like to write and enjoy the challenge of putting together a publication. All very good and nobel sentiments.

What I object to are the often strained logic of these opinion pieces. It is to be expected by people in their early 20s so its difficult to condemn too much. Just as much as I undoubtedly would cringe six months down the line if I put pen to paper to write an opinion piece, I don't understand how these student journalists don't feel the same way. Opinion pieces by people with little life experience should be banned - although well intentioned, they come across as patronising, and nobody wants to be patronised by a 20 year old who hasn't yet figured out that they don't know everything...

P.S- doing it on the internet is fine, of course. Goes without saying :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I didn't win either of my categories, so this thread makes me feel bitter.

Congrats. Or whatever, like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

Denerick, while I would generally agree on your views regarding the Students Union, I don't think the people who work for our student newspapers can be regarded as hacks on the same level as those repulsive characters of the SU. The writers for the newspapers keep a very low-key presence on campus imo.

They don't put up posters of their ugly mugs on every noticeboard in sight, visually polluting our univerisity.
    They don't harass us with annoying emails on a weekly basis (Every SU email goes directly into my spam folder anyway).
    They don't possess the pathetic desire to be loved that oozes from the pores of every hack.

Yes, I'd prefer if the papers could be funded by sponsorship rather than college funds, but a free press is vital for the functioning of any democracy so it's a small price to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

The Walsho wrote: »
    I didn't win either of my categories, so this thread makes me feel bitter.

Congrats. Or whatever, like.
    Chin up dude, even being nominated is an honour.

Fo Real wrote: »
    Yes, I'd prefer if the papers could be funded by sponsorship rather than college funds, but a free press is vital for the functioning of any democracy so it's a small price to pay.

Trinity is not a democracy. If you've a big brain and a good publication record, you'll rise in no time. Some have to work their asses off, others don't. Failing brains, if you get yourself onto enough committees, some opening will eventually present itself and you can utilise that to compensate for your academic short-comings. That said, it's always good to have a few chums in the right places. It's a decent enough system that should maintain a certain level of continuity, but unfortunately, the non-academics are more powerful than ever, the College is becoming hopelessly dependent on the Free State and an unloyal external element has creeped in: types who care more about their pay cheque and a handy number than the institution itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭new fang

It's not about friends in high places at all. It's about dedication and skill. If you can write well and are willing to on a regular basis, there's a place for you. Simple as.

While I'll agree the University Times can be a load of bollocks in terms of quality control at times, Trinity News hardly suffers from anywhere near the same calibre of shortcomings.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

gearoidof wrote: »
    >> Implying people listen to you here

>> is for quoting the post number, > is for quoting the post.

If you're trying to be cool by subtly showing you lurk 4chan, at least get it right!

Advertisement