Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move ISDN connection

Options
  • 21-04-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I need to "extend" a ISDN line on a temporary basis as a favour for someone. i.e no $$

Phoneline is terminated into the Eircom NTU box in one location but the ISDN connection is needed (possibly 2 lines) about 300m away for a week or two. Needs to be a reliable connection.

I know i can break into the phoneline coming in, extend the existing phoneline and reterminate into the moved NTU box at the new location but I would rather leave the NTU where it is as it's all setup there longterm and just extend the services over instead. Is this possible over this distance? i.e run a connection into the o/p ports of the NTU box and present a terminated cable at the far end 300m away? Think the primary connection is to be used for low bit streaming and the 2nd for a fax line.

Also will cat5 cable be ok for extending? I know it should if i have to go witht he 1st suggestion of moving the NTU box and all.

Regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Ive a feeling you will get more problems from extending the output of the NTU 300m than actually moving the NTU on the back end.. Can you explain why you need to leave the NTU in place? Is it connected to important kit there? I would personally be more in favour of using the telco cable and moving the box as in theory it might work but it might be flakey. 300m is a long run even for ISDN and you might end up loosing packets...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

FusionNet wrote: »
    Ive a feeling you will get more problems from extending the output of the NTU 300m than actually moving the NTU on the back end.. Can you explain why you need to leave the NTU in place? Is it connected to important kit there? I would personally be more in favour of using the telco cable and moving the box as in theory it might work but it might be flakey. 300m is a long run even for ISDN and you might end up loosing packets...

Cheers for the reply FusionNet

Yeah after i posted i had a think about it and option 2 is probably even harder than option 1.

They only reason I was thinking of leaving it there is because the new connection is only needed for 2 days and then everything goes back to normal again. i was initally thinking it would be easier than upsetting verything and then having to reinstall everything in-situ but when i looked at it again it's easier to extend the phoneline feed into the NTU and move the NTU. I'd even be going back towards the entry point of the basic phoneline and then off in a different direction. I'll see if I can tap into the feed somewhere there and leave the feed cable into the NTU in place and run the new temporary one from the eircom entry point.

Surely cat5 would do to as the new temp feed? any particular pairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Cat5e will work fine if your extending from the Eircom 50 pair to the NTU box. Pair colour doesnt matter but as a good practice you would normally use blue/white, white/blue for your first pair.

In regards to Cat5e not working that would be if you left NTU in place and made a patch cord for all the world 300m, that wouldnt work very well..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Cheers again, looks like I'll go with that.

Advertisement