Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearest Potato Pie to Dublin

Options
  • 21-04-2010 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

A poorly phrased question but where, outside Cork, can you get a Potato Pie... they just don't seem to be anywhere up here in Dublin.

I've resorted to trying to make my own, it hasn't gone well :)!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What's a potato pie?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mellor wrote: »
    What's a potato pie?

:eek:

Seriously?

It's a ball or patty of mashed potato, battered and deep fried. One of my favourite things in the entire world.

OP, a potato cake would be easier to do at home, but it doesn't quite hit the same spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've never heard of them either, but they sound fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

A fish and chipper by the road would have them. I've never encountered one that hasn't. Having said that I haven't been at a fish and chips in a long long time. Potato pies are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭snowcrazie

Talk about a useless reply up there, clearly I have tried lots of "fish and chips" and yes all of them in cork have pies none in dublin....

In dublin they do these terrible pattie things, not the same at all.
    Who wouldn't love a ball of mash covered in crispy batter???

My Question is; do they sell them anywhere outside Cork? If so where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

snowcrazie wrote: »
    Talk about a useless reply up there,
    No need for that. I thought you possibly meant ones in a supermarket.

Only places I heard of in dublin is the chipper in ballaly supermarket in sandyford

And either hte magic chef or apriles in stillorgan might too, one of them did years back anyway, the 2 chippers are very close to each other. I always heard them called potato cakes. Dunno what they are like in any of them though, but my mates liked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Talk about a useless reply up there, clearly I have tried lots of "fish and chips" and yes all of them in cork have pies none in dublin....

In dublin they do these terrible pattie things, not the same at all.
    Who wouldn't love a ball of mash covered in crispy batter???

My Question is; do they sell them anywhere outside Cork? If so where?

A fish and chipper on the road, outside cork. It could be easily inferred from the context that I meant one outside of cork. Ya handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Faith wrote: »
    :eek:

Seriously?

It's a ball or patty of mashed potato, battered and deep fried. One of my favourite things in the entire world.

OP, a potato cake would be easier to do at home, but it doesn't quite hit the same spot.
    i've seen/heard potato cakes, with whole sliced potato, but not pies with balls of mash.
    rubadub wrote: »
    And either hte magic chef or apriles in stillorgan might too, one of them did years back anyway, the 2 chippers are very close to each other. I always heard them called potato cakes. Dunno what they are like in any of them though, but my mates liked them.
    Potato cake, at least in Dublin, is different
    raah! wrote: »
    A fish and chipper on the road, outside cork. It could be easily inferred from the context that I meant one outside of cork. Ya handicap.
    And from her reply, she has obviously tried plenty of chippers outside or Cork
    Ya spastic:P

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

Jackie Lennox should go nationwide. Cheese and onion pies are great too.

Have never seen mushy pea fritters outside Cork either...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

A poorly phrased question but where, outside Cork, can you get a Potato Pie... they just don't seem to be anywhere up here in Dublin.
    balon wrote: »

I saw a fellah take a bite into a blaa on TV once and say "There's a reason they don't sell these outside of Waterford". :D That's a joke, BTW. My Dad is from Waterford and I am quite fond of the blaas myself. And it was your man from Mayo with the Received Pronunciation accent that said it, aswell. These Cork-only curiousities sound good, though. Can anyone down there maybe provide a pic of what they look like?

I think that most chippers buy everything in ready-made and are not chefs as such working from raw ingredients (I think it's the same in Chinese takeaways), based on the uniformity of what you get wherever you go. I could be completely wrong there, but that's the opinion I get. So, there is a good chance that these pies and fritters are available in a retail setting too, if you know where to look?

Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭snowcrazie

I think that most chippers buy everything in ready-made and are not chefs as such working from raw ingredients (I think it's the same in Chinese takeaways), based on the uniformity of what you get wherever you go. I could be completely wrong there, but that's the opinion I get. So, there is a good chance that these pies and fritters are available in a retail setting too, if you know where to look?

Anyone?

I know that's why I can't understand why they are only in cork! It doesn't make any sense at all.....

They do these flat battered potato things everywhere else but they have spices and stuff in 'em, they just aren't a potato pie :(!

Anyone think If I went into Dinos and asked for a bag of frozen pies they'd give them to me?
    :P doubt it, but I can always dream.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well, if you are in Cork, I've seen uncooked potato pies in the English Market (can't remember exactly where, but they had battered sausages too) and in Supervalu in Blackrock (which might mean most Supervalu's have them). You could buy them and cook them yourself when you get back to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sv650

balon wrote: »

Mmmm cheesy pies... almost makes me want to live in Cork again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

It must be a purely Cork thing as i'm from Kerry and never heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

sv650 wrote: »
    Mmmm cheesy pies... almost makes me want to live in Cork again :)

not really.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Faith wrote: »
    Well, if you are in Cork, I've seen uncooked potato pies in the English Market (can't remember exactly where, but they had battered sausages too) and in Supervalu in Blackrock (which might mean most Supervalu's have them). You could buy them and cook them yourself when you get back to Dublin.

KCs in Douglas used to sell uncooked ones too but I've not been in there in years so they might not do them any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Have seen them advertised on a take away menu in Clonmel, slightly nearer.....must try one when am down in Cork next week!

Brgds
    Johnny

Advertisement