Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Improve my Credit rating

Options
  • 21-04-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi All
    I would like to fix my credit rating, I have had a mortgage for 7 years and never missed a payment but i also had a credit card canceled through late payments about 3 years ago and the same with a small loan around the same time, Both debts were payed in full. I applied for a credit card with tesco's and MBNA and was refused. Is there any way to improve my credit rating? Small high interest loan/store card or something else that I have to pay monthly?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Those bad debts will stay on your record for 5 years, I believe, and there's nothing you can do to get them off it (would make the whole process kind of pointless if you could). Until they're gone, you probably won't get any kind of credit.

Applying for more and more will not help either, as each application will also be recorded. Lenders will see that you've been applying (unsuccessfully) to other institutes, and that will count against you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

You could look into an ulster bank visa debit card in the mean time. Open a current account with them. It's essentially a laser card accepted everywhere visa is.

Advertisement