Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GreenHouse, Gravel or Patio ?

Options
  • 21-04-2010 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Will be getting a new GreenHouse shorlty.
    I currently have grass everywhere in the back garden.

Is it a better idea to take up the grass and lay patio, gravel, or perhaps something else where the GreenHouse will go ?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Hi Dr Silly

Does your greenhouse come with a base or are you making your own how or are you securing it?

Our greenhouse had an integrated base with aluminum legs that were concreted into the ground at the corners when we were erecting it.

I would take the sod off the area you need for the greenhouse and also make sure it is a level area. dig out for a path around it so you can put patio slabs (flush with the greenhouse base) around it to help anchor it and allow you to put plants out to harden off etc. I would erect the greenhouse first before putting down slabs or gravel. We used builders sand to level up the greenhouse base before concreting it in. If the Greenhouse is not square, you could run into trouble putting in the glass and windows and doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

lucylu wrote: »
    Hi Dr Silly

Does your greenhouse come with a base or are you making your own how or are you securing it?

Our greenhouse had an integrated base with aluminum legs that were concreted into the ground at the corners when we were erecting it.

I would take the sod off the area you need for the greenhouse and also make sure it is a level area. dig out for a path around it so you can put patio slabs (flush with the greenhouse base) around it to help anchor it and allow you to put plants out to harden off etc. I would erect the greenhouse first before putting down slabs or gravel. We used builders sand to level up the greenhouse base before concreting it in. If the Greenhouse is not square, you could run into trouble putting in the glass and windows and doors.

Super, thanks for the advice.

The Greenhouse I'm looking at does have a base.
    So in that case, do I need to lift up the grass ? It's perfectly level by the way.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Yes I would take up the grass ..

Thats a nice one,hope you got it set up all right. I have ordered an 8 x 6 Baron glasshouse for €339 in the recent Homebase promotion and am facing the same problem of setting it up.There is a slight slope on my back lawn and I think I will have to get someone in to advise me as I am hopeless at DIY!

• Advertisement
Advertisement