Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Problem

Options
  • 21-04-2010 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I need to attend the Doctor with an embarrassing problem. My own Doctor is a close personal and family friend and I wouldn't be comfortable with her as it's STD related. Will a new Doctor require my past medical records, ID, etc. before treating me or is it possible to use an another name as I don't want to use my own? I understand there is confidentiality and such but I'd be more comfortable being completely anonymous. All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

A new doctor will ask for your number, address and VHI/medical card numbers etc and will most likely ask you to mention any major past or present illnesses or medications. They won't demand a full medical history on site.

Don't try to give a fake name as that's just silly - think of the hassle if you're getting tested and need lab results processed etc.... trying to do all of that under a false name is a bit silly and there's no need. They'll take your mobile number for purposes of contacting you re results etc but they won't contact anyone at home or your own doctor if you request that they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

You should probably attend an STI clinic in that case. They tend to be fairly discrete. There is a sticky at the top of the this board with info.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well ... I have 2 Doctors.
    The one I actually prefer is female - knows her stuff and all, loike.

But - I went to the male one when my knob looked loike it was hit my a bloody hammer !

Yep ! I had spent my muny and done the rumpy pumpy ... and then thought I had an STD.
    Turned out not to be the case ; just given a prescription for some cream that
    fixed me knob after a few weeks.

OK - so the male Doctor has a record of my visit to him ; but he never gave that
    to the other one.

So, stop worrying and get checked out. Doctors look at knobs and knockers all of the
    time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Nah just explain you were embarrassed going to the usual doctor and tell them about your medical history. Sure it happens to every doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jildwy

Hi Doctor Doctor,

If you are female try these websites www.womenshealthclinic.ie and www.wellwomancentre.ie. Both very discrete but female only.

• Advertisement

I went to my Doctor and he diagnosed a single small genital wart. Due to the fact that it's on the tip of my penis (very sensitive) he decided not to treat it himself and is sending me to St. James's in Dublin. I'm terrified about this. He thinks that liquid nitrogen will treat it well but I've read this isn't always effective. Can anyone tell me they're own experiences? Will it hurt? Will I be able to work when it's healing? Will I be checked for other STI/STDs in St James? How much does it cost? And finally is there a long waiting process on the day if you already have an appointment? Sorry for all the questions but my minds racing and my hands are shaking writing this. I'm so ashamed.

Sorry for bumping this but all advice is welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭unclecessna

I'd assume that they would test you for other STI's in the hospital as having one can aid in a person getting another type more easily from what I have read on such matters - but my honest answer is I don't know though it would seem like a good idea.

I can't really help on info regarding treatment either I'm afraid but I don't think you need to be so ashamed and hard on yourself. I have friends and met lots of people who have gotten these and though it is embarrasing and a nuisance it isn't something like HIV or Syphillis which can be completely fatal if left undiagnosed and treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I had the liquid nitrogen treatment a few times. It's not just for warts. Never had it done in my special area though. Only had one bad experience when it was done on a wart near my eye. It's a little bit painful. More irratable than painful really. And it does be itchy for a while after.

Advertisement