Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker cable to 3.5mm adaptor

Options
  • 21-04-2010 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I am trying to connect an Onkyo TX-SR 308 to a Canton Movie 120MX however I've run into some difficulty with the subwoofer. The amplifier has a pre-out subwoofer connection(presume it's 3.5mm) whereas the subwoofer has screw terminals for speaker cable. The room is pre-wired with speaker cable. How do I connect the speaker cable to the amplifier, anybody have a link to an adaptor/connection I can buy?

Amplifier Connection
    21648791f23ee2fc58.jpg

Subwoofer Connection
    95744978.jpg

Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

Anyone got any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Cut the earphone end off a pair of earphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

And then just solder the cable on? Wouldn't be a great connection surely??

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Sorry, missed the bit where the room was pre-wired, I meant to go directly from one to the other. Having said that, I don't see any difference between soldering together (or indeed just tying together!) vs the prewired cable going to a wall socket (like these:
    http://www.nexxia.co.uk/products.asp?category=Dolby%20Surround%20Sound%205.1&section=Audio%20Wall%20Plates
    ) and the other cable plugging into this wall socket - which is another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

fletch wrote: »
    Any help is appreciated

your amp has an RCA low level output which you should connect via similar to the low level input of the sub.

You need a wire that looks like this:
    hama_43150_rca-rca_video_5m_43150.jpg

If you want to use high level (speaker posts) you have to wire up the high level connectors from the left + right channels in parallel with the sub binding posts (note you will not get the specific .1 sounds this way).

I recommend the RCA-RCA connector route, even though you have a "pre wired" system - unless your pre wired system has the subwoofer wired as a coaxial (low level) connection. This is quite likely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement