Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

6 Month Rule

Options
  • 20-04-2010 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any way around this rule whereby you have to wait 6 months before applying to sit your driving test?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Short answer is no, there is no 'workaround'.

Assuming of course you are on your first learner permit and referring to either a Cat A or Cat B test.

Edit : One clarification is the 6 months refers to the date you take the test not when you apply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You don't have to wait six months to apply, just to sit it.
    You could apply, say, four months after getting the learner permit and with a bit of luck, sit your test 6 months and one day from when the learner permit was issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Thing is I'm moving abroad to take up a position at the end of June. I'm not eligible to sit until July. I wonder if a word with my local friendly TD might help.
    I have to say this 6 month wait is a load of nonsense. Half that would be sufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Also even by some mishap you did get the test before July, go in & smiles ready to sit it, the tester will see from your permit that your 6 months wait is not up yet, not allow you to sit the test & you lose the €75 you paid to sit the test.

Best thing you can do is wait until you get your test date & make arrangements then to be in Ireland to take the test on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

yeah the tester will call you up on it. When i did mine the guy beside me was not allowed do his as he was a few days short of having his prov. ilcense six months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yeah, I had mine 6 months to the day when i did my test... they check your provisional license every time... so there is no way around it.

Advertisement