Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with choices for 2nd year BESS?!

Options
  • 20-04-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Ok so i gotta pick my 2nd year choices for BESS and its due this friday and im still not sure what i gotta pick!

Need to make up 60 credits and I know im doing the 3 management options (which is the business side of the course), and also Intermediate economics, so thats 4 subjects down.

But for my last 2 im not too sure, there's 3 other economics options:

'Economy of Ireland' , 'The Economics of Public Policy' , and 'Maths and Stats'.

I really didnt enjoy the stats this year so im trying to stear clear of it but im not sure on the difficulty of it next year so if there's anyone out there who's done it can they let me know if its tough or anything they have to say about it??

If I dont do that I'll probably do the other 2 there in a single honours business degree, but doing 3 business subjects and 3 economics subjects (you gotta do maths and stats to get the joint business and economics degree), so if anyone else has any info on the other economics subjects Id really appreciate it thanks!!! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Ok so i gotta pick my 2nd year choices for BESS and its due this friday and im still not sure what i gotta pick!

Need to make up 60 credits and I know im doing the 3 management options (which is the business side of the course), and also Intermediate economics, so thats 4 subjects down.

But for my last 2 im not too sure, there's 3 other economics options:

'Economy of Ireland' , 'The Economics of Public Policy' , and 'Maths and Stats'.

I really didnt enjoy the stats this year so im trying to stear clear of it but im not sure on the difficulty of it next year so if there's anyone out there who's done it can they let me know if its tough or anything they have to say about it??

If I dont do that I'll probably do the other 2 there in a single honours business degree, but doing 3 business subjects and 3 economics subjects (you gotta do maths and stats to get the joint business and economics degree), so if anyone else has any info on the other economics subjects Id really appreciate it thanks!!! :)

Economy of Ireland is both easy and interesting; I'd recommend it.

If you want to keep your options open with regard to economics, then obviously you have to do maths and stats. I'd advise you to keep your options open in light of the fact that if you want you can choose non-mathsy economics subjects in 3rd year if you want to. However, it depends a bit on how you're doing with maths and stats this year. If you're really shit and barely passing, then I wouldn't recommend it. But if you're doing OK and just don't like it, then I'd recommend that you keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Drop out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 HideAndSeek23

ah yeh im doing ok at it but if i do the other 3 economic choices and drop maths and stats the only option i cant do in 3rd year is investment analysis so i still hav a lot of options...hmm thanks for your help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Smash13

Heya. I'm in the same boat here, trying to decide which modules to pick for 2nd Year BESS. Eek!

I know I want to carry on with Economics, so I will definitely be taking Economy of Ireland, Intermediate Economics, and Maths and Stats, but I'm trying to find out what people think about Economics of Public Policy.

I really enjoy Economics and seem to be quite good at it, so I'd be fine even if Public Policy was a lot of work. I just want to know what people think about it, i.e. is the lecturer any good? Is the course interesting?

If you could get back to me soon that'd be grand, seeing as I pick my modules by Friday. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Economics of Public Policy is a handy course. It's not so much an exam in the material, but a case of giving Dr Barrett exactly what he wants. I.e. Free market economics with Michael O'Leary thrown in. He repeats himself in lectures so attendence every now and then will keep you on top of the work, and I don't think anyone has ever read anything on his reading list tbh. Easy high 2.1 or first if you can get the balance between humour and Austrian School policy just right. The massive overlap with Econ of Ireland makes it even easier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement