Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Schols

Options
  • 20-04-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey im probably going to do schols in BESS next year (im in first year atm) and just wondering is there anyone who has recent info on the benefits of schols, who I need to contact ,etc. If there's anyone who actually knows anything in particular about the BESS schols like layout and stuff that would be great thanks! :)

I know its a bit early to be thinking about schols but my choices for 2nd year have to be in this friday so my choices on what subjects to do might depend on difficulty of schols or something as I really dont know what to pick for 2nd year at the moment aside from business subjects!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

There is a lot of info on this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055180812

Its very long tho.. and Schols has changed since the thread was started. The exams are in January now and there are no exemptions.

I don't know anything about BESS really, but I am a scholar so I can tell you a bit about the benefits.

You get:
    Commons free of charge - This is a 3 course meal served in the dining hall every weekday evening. It is served at 615 sharp. Scholars and Fellows go for free, anyone can buy a ticket and go but people rarely do that. Grace is said in Latin before and after the meal, fellows sit at a top table and wear gowns! For us scholars tho its just a free 3 course meal every evening which is nice, especially coming up to exams.

Rooms free of charge - Well, not technically free, you have to pay for utilities, which is 600e a year. Accommodation is on campus (including goldsmith). You don't have to write a lengthy application, once you have schols if you apply you get it. You can decide to take cash in lieu of rooms to the value of 2250 euro. This is paid in three instalments - December, March and June. Rooms are kept for the same term as someone who is paying for it, ie Freshers week till after your exams.

Salary - This is more of a tradition than a salary. You get 254e paid in December.

Tuition Fees - You get free tuition for the term of the scholarship. This means you don't pay any registration fee either. For non-eu students fees are reduced by the value of EU fees for the course. You are still billed for the USI and Sports Centre fees.

Schols lasts for 5 years. So if you get it in 2nd year you finish out your 4 year degree and then you still have 3 years left to do further study (a second degree, masters, PhD etc). If you decide not to stay on you retain your dinning rights (and salary I think, but I'm not sure). You do not get rooms tho.

You can intermit your scholarship. An intermission lasts for one year and a maximum of three intermitted years is allowed. Can be handy if you're taking a year abroad or a year out.

That's about all I can think of for now.
    This site is also very good: www.tcdlife.ie/scholar
    particularly the FAQ section on the About page.

See if you can talk to any current second years about their experiences this year. Also have a chat with your class rep and get them to organise a talk from a scholar in your course. I did it for the 2nd year Engineers this year. They seemed to find it very helpful.

Someone in your course office might be happy to answer specific questions either. Call in and see what they have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Another little-known fact is that scholars can vote in elections to the University of Dublin seats in the Seanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 HideAndSeek23

Thanks Mathew thats great:) just need to find out about schols for my course now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Hey im probably going to do schols in BESS next year (im in first year atm) and just wondering is there anyone who has recent info on the benefits of schols, who I need to contact ,etc. If there's anyone who actually knows anything in particular about the BESS schols like layout and stuff that would be great thanks! :)

I know its a bit early to be thinking about schols but my choices for 2nd year have to be in this friday so my choices on what subjects to do might depend on difficulty of schols or something as I really dont know what to pick for 2nd year at the moment aside from business subjects!

check the exam papers web site, they have previous schols papers- for my course anyway

Advertisement