Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garden - what to do?

Options
  • 20-04-2010 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭

Ok folks,

Managed to take photos of the front and back gardens. Just wanted peoples opinions on whether I should put down more grass seed, fertilise, leave it alone, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Seems to be a lot of stone on it? U might need to rotavate some of that, pick the stones and reseed

You always put in a few beds with the colored stones and shrubs to cut down the amount of grass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Ok folks,

Managed to take photos of the front and back gardens. Just wanted peoples opinions on whether I should put down more grass seed, fertilise, leave it alone, etc.

put down fertaliser before it rains, so the rain when it come it will do a great job,
    when you cut, cut it high first 3 times
    there is great growth there these days, if you want to give it a liquid feed late these evenings say when sun goes down, it will do a marvelous job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

yop wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of stone on it? U might need to rotavate some of that, pick the stones and reseed

You always put in a few beds with the colored stones and shrubs to cut down the amount of grass

Oh God no. Im not rotavating again. Did that already and sowed and its come up like this. Might just seed the patchy bits, give it some lawn feed and see what happens.

goat2 wrote: »
    put down fertaliser before it rains, so the rain when it come it will do a great job,
    when you cut, cut it high first 3 times
    there is great growth there these days, if you want to give it a liquid feed late these evenings say when sun goes down, it will do a marvelous job

Hey goat, what fertiliser should I use?

Hey goat, what fertiliser should I use?
    any general fertaliser, there are plenty, cheap or dear they are all the same, so dont go breaking your pocket, any will do,
    it will come out lovely a month from that, as it will have grown and you will have cut it, if there any holes, just fill them in with anything you can find, i assure all it needs is a good feen and dont worry about the weeds that come up as after a couple of cuts it will keep them down and they will not be seen after a while, also it will stop these weeds flowering and reseeding, do this as soon as you possibly can, i mean now

• Advertisement

any general fertaliser, there are plenty, cheap or dear they are all the same, so dont go breaking your pocket, any will do,
    it will come out lovely a month from that, as it will have grown and you will have cut it, if there any holes, just fill them in with anything you can find, i assure all it needs is a good feen and dont worry about the weeds that come up as after a couple of cuts it will keep them down and they will not be seen after a while, also it will stop these weeds flowering and reseeding, do this as soon as you possibly can, i mean now

Cool. Ill hit the hardware tomorrow morning and spread it when I get home from work

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

Ok folks,

it looks like it got bad weather (waterlogged) after being sown. all you can do is loosen the soil on the bare patches and shak some grass seed on it. a bit of fertiliser and with a bit of rain it should start to grow.

Guys, was in the hardware at lunch and there are loads of different fertilisers. Ones that kill weeds and help the grass at the same time. Would I be better going for one of these?

Guys, was in the hardware at lunch and there are loads of different fertilisers. Ones that kill weeds and help the grass at the same time. Would I be better going for one of these?
    no no no
    it only make it look more patchy
    put a good feed of general fertaliser
    cheapest you can lay hands on
    do the trick better

no no no
    it only make it look more patchy
    put a good feed of general fertaliser
    cheapest you can lay hands on
    do the trick better

Cool. Ill head to the local hardware and can chat to the guy there. Father in law has a handheld spreader that I can use so I dont put out too much in one spot!! Rain promised for Saturday so Ill put it out on Friday evening.

• Advertisement

Cool. Ill head to the local hardware and can chat to the guy there. Father in law has a handheld spreader that I can use so I dont put out too much in one spot!! Rain promised for Saturday so Ill put it out on Friday evening.
    good on you
    this day next week the grass will look greener
    keep us posted

while you are at
    get your herbs in
    put them in a big old pot or fish box and you will have beautiful food
    thyme, sage, mint, rosemary, scallions, they will all fit in one box
    then stuffings and lamb will be brill

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you want to keep the lawn? might be an idea to put down a load of trees - though the septic tank might be a complicating factor there. they'd help hide that block wall, though.

do you want to keep the lawn? might be an idea to put down a load of trees - though the septic tank might be a complicating factor there. they'd help hide that block wall, though.

Yes definitely want to keep the lawn. But Im hoping to put either trees or hedging around the block wall.

Heading to the hardware now to get seed for the patchy parts and some fertiliser. I noticed though that there seems to be weeds and thistles coming up in the garden. Will I just leave these be until the garden takes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

No, if nothing else cut them back by hand while they're small. If you allow them to grow and seed, then they'll just overrun your struggling lawn. Weed and feed products can leave your lawn exceedingly patchy, you could try using a hand-held glycophosphate spray on younger weeds and just pull up the older ones and allow the grass to take over the bare areas. Depends on the variety of grass you have as well - is it a running grass, e.g. if you try to pull up a handful of your lawn, do you get it roots and all, or are there big running roots through the soil?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I finally tackled my own front garden this week:

This is how it looked on Wednesday morning:

20042010004.jpg

This is how it looks today:

25thApril20102.jpg

25thApril2010.jpg

Got it rotivated on Wednesday afternoon by local fella with a 5ft rotavator on back of his tractor (€40). Picked stones and weeds for few hours Wed/Thurs/Fri. My Dad came down Friday evening and a friend called round Saturday afternoon and we tackled the raking and levelling of the ground (Not perfect but good enough for me, I hope), sowed No.2 seed (Bought 25kg bag for €50). Also planted 5 Cherry Blossom trees (€9.99 a piece) along the front of the site.

Delighted with the outcome and hopefully time will delight me more when the green starts spouting !!

I finally tackled my own front garden this week:

This is how it looked on Wednesday morning:

20042010004.jpg

This is how it looks today:

25thApril20102.jpg

25thApril2010.jpg

Got it rotivated on Wednesday afternoon by local fella with a 5ft rotavator on back of his tractor (€40). Picked stones and weeds for few hours Wed/Thurs/Fri. My Dad came down Friday evening and a friend called round Saturday afternoon and we tackled the raking and levelling of the ground (Not perfect but good enough for me, I hope), sowed No.2 seed (Bought 25kg bag for €50). Also planted 5 Cherry Blossom trees (€9.99 a piece) along the front of the site.

Delighted with the outcome and hopefully time will delight me more when the green starts spouting !!

Looks really good! I just shook some seed onto the patchy parts last night, and my brother in law is calling this evening and spreading the fertiliser for me before it rains! Fingers crossed itll look better in a few weeks and I can give it the first cut!!

Folks,

Just wondering. Some of the garden at the front is patchy. Im just wondering if I should put down some more grass seed, and cover it with some moss peat to allow it to germinate? The ground seems hard.

Also Im going to try and roll the garden next weekend. Is it ok to cut the garden some time after that? It will be the first cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

i also sowed my back garden about a week before yours and it is also patchy due to the dry weather i guess, id say it will come good though. also i believe first cut should be after 8 weeks

km79 wrote: »
    i also sowed my back garden about a week before yours and it is also patchy due to the dry weather i guess, id say it will come good though. also i believe first cut should be after 8 weeks

Hi km79. Did you have to roll yours at any stage? And have you given yours the first cut?

• Advertisement

Hi km79. Did you have to roll yours at any stage? And have you given yours the first cut?
    yes it was rolled after seeding
    dont think ill cut it till end of may

I sowed mine on the 24th April and this is how it looks now:

CIMG0198.jpg

CIMG0201.jpg

Patchy yes.

mine is similar drop a rain should bring it on

has your lawn grown much since last pick tinofapples

Not a whole lot. Still very patchy.

]i ma beginning to get worried about mine now. extremely patchy and one type of weed cropping up in bare patches. some areas will probably need cutting soon too. i have posted pics any advice greatly appreciated as this is the second time in a year i have had back lawn done as had to put drainage in in january and redo itDSC02051.jpg

DSC02053.jpg

DSC02055.jpg

I'd pull that weed up for starters.

there are quite a lot of them and i dont like the idea of trampling the youg grass around them worried i might do more harm than good . im hoping someone will help me identify them and that the rain tonight will help grass get growing

the rain tonight will help grass get growing

Me too my friend

• Advertisement

noticeabley greener today id say first cut next weekend

Advertisement