Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PX625 replacement battery

Options
  • 20-04-2010 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I've got an old Super 8 video camera that needs a PX625/PX13 battery for the built-in light meter. Unfortunately, said battery is full of nasty mercury so they don't make them any more.

This website gives a list of alternatives - an LR9 or MRB625. Does anyone know if any of these alternatives are available in Dublin?

I would order one on ebay, but with the volcanic ash grounding flights it'd take ages for it to arrive, and I'd kinda like to get one in the next few days. If anyone can point me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated!

I also came across this DIY alternative - has anyone done something similar to this? Does it work?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I also came across this DIY alternative - has anyone done something similar to this? Does it work?

Thanks!

I've put hearing aid batteries into my yashica mat, which is designed to take those same px625's. I think I just jammed it in with tin foil or something and made sure that the contacts were, well, contacting. I also had to drill a hole in the battery cover. I forget where I got them, but I'm thinking boots, IIRC they come in little plastic wheels of about 10 batteries or something, you pop them out one by one and peel off the protective covering.

Depending on the camera you might be able to use silver oxide instead, and compensate by adjusting the set ISO of the film, or through exposure adjustment or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,108 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

have used an alkaline like the diy guide shows, worked but wasn't sure how accurate it was

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

have used an alkaline like the diy guide shows, worked but wasn't sure how accurate it was

Actually yeah, that's a good point, I wasn't either. I was shooting B&W or colour negative, so I erred toward overexposure and wasn't -too- bothered as long as it looked in the right ballpark. The meter on the 124 is just a fairly undiscriminating averaging meter anyway. If you're shooting transparency in your super 8 I guess you'll want the battery to be as close as possible to the required voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

You can get wee converters for batteries too. I have one in my Canonet and Oly 35, a quick google should throw up plenty of results - Well worth getting if you want to make sure your meter is dead on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭quickg

I have 2 Alkaline 625's, both perfect in original packing. One a Varta V525U dated July 2008 and a Kodak KA625 dated Jan 2004.
    Nominal charge for both. Don't use my 124G anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement