Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardening advise

Options
  • 20-04-2010 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

We just moved into a house with a lovely big garden however it has totally been neglected I am dying to get stuck into it so my 1yr old can play out there.

however there are these big huge ugly looking trees in the middle of the garden would i be right in saying that if they were planted yrs ago theres no getting rid as the roots are probably under the house at this stage? I have never lived in a house with a garden and would be pretty disappointed if these trees were going to continue to ruin my dream of a lovely clean lawn!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i would just cut back some of the limbs or branches fully with a slanted cut, i would also cut back to half some more branches to leave in light, i would not be for cutting trees altogether, they only need attention, cut lawn high first few times, put the cuttings of grass at trees base, you would be surprised how nice it will all look in a months time, also on a very hot day the shade of the trees would be good for the child to sit under, if i had inherited toat i would have been delighted,
    if you are having a barbecue you could put lights on them in evening, candles in those hanging candleholders you can buy in two euro store.
    also at christmas, you will have your very fine tree to put a few lights on,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,284 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Canyou put up a pic of the trees? If you did get rid of them you do not need to worry about the roots as they can be killed then cut off and left, just take out the stump. I would be reluctant to just chop them without a bit of research though, a tree can be a valuable addition to a garden. What kind are they, do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

looksee wrote: »
    Canyou put up a pic of the trees? If you did get rid of them you do not need to worry about the roots as they can be killed then cut off and left, just take out the stump. I would be reluctant to just chop them without a bit of research though, a tree can be a valuable addition to a garden. What kind are they, do you know?

i would like also to see a pic,but if you had to buy a tree at that age you would pay hundreds for it, also by cutting out limbs that come in your way you will forget its there, they call it tree surgery, try it, get yourself a saw at the diy store, and do your cuts in a slant
    i have trees and they can cause this bother of keeping out sun or getting in the way, but this way i can enjoy them, and as i say summer evenings you could have candles hanging from them also, and it would be beautiful at christmas with a string of those led lights brightning up a dark evening

Advertisement