Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what does shaycondeye mean ?

Options
  • 20-04-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

I am a beginner and I listen to Rnag a lot. I keep hearing something that sounds like 'shay cond eye' as one word shaycondeye, maybe two - shay condeye ?? I've tried my dictionary but I'm obviously on the wrong track with the spelling as I can't find anything remotely like it.

Can anyone guess what this is ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Na sé chondae nó i mBéarla The 6 Counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Tá mé ag ceapadh go bhfuil tú ag éisteacht le Rónán Mac Aodha Bhuí!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Thanks guys but like I said I am a beginner and don't know what you are saying:confused:

sé chondae means six counties then ?

Thanks

Na sé chondae nó i mBéarla The 6 Counties.

I've just looked in my dictionary and there is no 'chondae'. If I look up the word 'county' in the English part it says 'contae' :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Rónán Mac Aodha Bhuí's radio show.

Sé = 6 and puts a 'h' (séimhiú) on the noun following.
    Contae= county
    Sé chontae= 6 counties

So contae is the bare noun.
    Changes to chontae after sé

• Advertisement

pog it wrote: »
    Rónán Mac Aodha Bhuí's radio show.

Thanks pog it. Understood.

What are you saying about the radio show ?

As pog it mentioned condae is said for contae in Northern parts of the island.
    There, "d" and "t" are interchangeable in a lot of words.
    Cárta is Cárda (a card in English)
    Rónán's programme is from Donegal.

I'm just not sure why the show has been mentioned ?

You mentioned listening to R na G and it's just that "Na sé Chondae" pops up on that programme more than on others. She surmised that that's where you might have heard it.

You mentioned listening to R na G and it's just that "Na sé Chondae" pops up on that programme more than on others. She surmised that that's where you might have heard it.

Ah okay ! I quite understand, especially given that it is probably his programme I hear it on more than others........

There is another word that I hear a lot - phonetically - cohnie have you any idea what that might be ?

• Advertisement

Can you remember a context ?
    Connaí is a first name ; Cannaí is cans ; Cónaí would refer to dwelling in some way.

Can you remember a context ?
    Connaí is a first name ; Cannaí is cans ; Cónaí would refer to dwelling in some way.

Unfortunately I am not able to identify a context. I did wonder if it might be something to do with a living place.... I kind of thought not as it comes up so often both on the news readings and other talk shows.

Never mind, I'll just have to continue learning.

Thanks

If you hear something like "Bhí cónaí uirthi i gCeatharlach", that would be "She lived in Carlow". I'm sure you'll come across it again.

Advertisement