Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masculinity survey.

Options
  • 20-04-2010 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

It'd be great if you could help me out here with a survey on Superbowl ads for college: I'm assessing Superbowl advertising and how it's viewed by people from different backgrounds/interest groups.

To date I have contacted Jazz musicians, footballers and the gay community and the Christian forum here. It'd be great if you could help out!

I just need you to answer below with which of the ads you prefered (Superbowl or 'Regular') and if possible, why.
    e.g.
    • Would any of these ads encourage you to/to not buy the product it is advertising?
    • Are any of these ads offensive to you in any way?
    • Are they well produced?
    • Are they funny?
    1. FloTV

Superbowl

'Regular'

2. Chrystler

Regular

Budweiser:

Your views will not be labelled as your username, but rather you will be identified by your contributions in order, i.e. User 1, User 2, etc.

Cheers!

Comments

1. FloTV

With the FloTV product, I liked the second ad. The first ad (“His girlfriend has removed his spine”) is a clichè that has been done to death in films, TV shows, advertisements and pretty much every other media that has ever existed. There is some truth to it, but it's a poorly executed ad, in my opinion. I think it's trying to be funny, but failing miserably.

The Regular version of the ad is a bit better and slightly funny, but I'd still never say to my friends, “did you see that ad for that FloTV thing?”.

Neither would make me want to rush out and buy it.

2. Chrystler

The first ad starts off quite dull, but it gets a lot better as it goes on. I actually really quite like it. I wasn't really paying much attention to the youtube name and thought it was for FloTV again, so I was a bit surprised by it. I like how they made it to be honest. It's a brilliant ad. I'm not really swayed by adverts for products, but if I were Bill Gates, I'd be getting me one of those!

The regular version of the ad is a bit crap. It's got a nice 'warm, christmassy' feeling to it alright, but it tries so hard to use the “You DO love America, don't you?” kind of selling line. The best christmas ad I seen was the old McDonalds one, where it shows the empty restaurant and says “th ebest place to be this christmas... Is in your own home”. It was a nice ad in my opinion, and they tried to acknowledge Christmas as a family time, and didn't try to force their product down your throat. Would've been better if Chrystler took a similar approach.

If I had use for the car, the superbowl ad would make me want to buy it more than the regular one.

3. Budweiser

The Superbowl ad makes me cringe. It's really, really terrible. It's playing to silly stereotypes and not coming across as remotely funny. Some sexual inneundos, a man who wants just to drink and women who are oblivious to sexual references. I wouldn't say it offends me or anything (an ad has never offended me) but it makes me wonder who thought it was a clever idea.

The regular ad is one of those ads, where it seems the aim of the ad is to get people talking about their product; “did you see the new budweiser ad?”. Unfortunately, the Budweiser tag at the end is so short and insiginificant if i seen it on TV i'd probably have no idea what the ad was for. That said, it's a pretty cool ad and most likely took a long time to get it right, so fair play to them on that front.

I don't drink, so I'd not be tempted by either. Unfortunately, even if I did drink, these ads would do nothing to make me want Budweiser. If i couldn't be neutral and i had to love or hate a product based on an ad, the superbowl ad would push me away from their product.

Over all, the Chrystler superbowl ad was my favourite, the Budweiser superbowl ad was my least favourite.

I'm not really sure if that's the kind of reply you were looking for mehfesto, so i just started typing and ended up with that... Hope thats ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

It's perfect, cheers!

I just wanted honest responses, so thanks again for taking the time!

Only need two more now...:D

Advertisement