Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are EVPs caused by Ionospheric ducting

Options
  • 20-04-2010 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭

Ionospheric ducting is a term used to describe how fragments of radio broadcasts or walkie-talkie communications can travel thousands of miles by occurring in electronic layers of the ionosphere that create small “ducts” that allow them to travel great distances. The observational evidence for long-range propagation of high-frequency radio signals began to accumulate in 1926 when transatlantic communication links had been established. In 1927, signals were detected that had propagated over large distances or circled the Earth with little attenuation.*

According to Jurgen Graff, a former engineer at Telefunken, "a taxi driver communication in New York could suddenly be monitored for a couple of minutes in Europe. After a few minutes the ducts collapse and the phenomenon disappears." (Roach, p. 188).

I was reading about this in 6 Foot Over - it would explain EVPs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I don't think it can explain EVP.

You get some fantastic EVPs on the web and you can clearly hear some quite clear words and even sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

how cant it explain evps? (only asking)

If basically it means that snippets of audio can be heard through various objects (theres examples of fireplaces picking up receptions) then why not a tape recorder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

maccored wrote: »
    how cant it explain evps? (only asking)

If basically it means that snippets of audio can be heard through various objects (theres examples of fireplaces picking up receptions) then why not a tape recorder?
    So basically its using the stone tape theory?

What im saying is you get some amazing EVPs online with sentences, never mind just words.

no. the stone tape theory is something completely different - its about the environment storing memories and replaying them.

Can you point me to one of these EVPs - the majority I have heard online certainly wouldnt be anywhere near class A.

Ionospheric ducting could possiby last long enough for a full sentence to travel, so theres no reason why you couldnt manage to snatch either words or sentences. All in theory mind you - but its important to not close your mind off to the chance that these things arent paranormal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

It could be as simple as rogue AM signals which is pretty much the same thing. But I don't really see how something without a frequency reciever could pick up and then broadcast the audio. I think its a bit of a straw clutch attempt to explain EVP. I still go with the good old fashioned "most of them are fakes"

• Advertisement

this is the thing. it is radio signals, which can be picked up by things like fireplaces, kettles and audio recorders if the signal is near and strong enough. the ionospheric ducting comes into play as a radio signal can be captured by this opening in the ionosphere and get pulled somewhere else around the world and released. If a strong radio signal like that is release randomly somewhere near where a paranormal group is looking for EVPs then technically they could pick up the recording but not hear it with their ears. Thats not guesswork as ionospheric ducting does happen (according to science).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Ionospheric ducting simply explains how radio signals can travel further than you might expect them to based on their transmission strength. So a signal that might normally only go out to a few miles can get bounced along a path in the upper atmosphere and be detected thousands of miles away.

It has absolutely nothing to do with fireplaces or kettles. All metal objects interact with radio signals, but you need a specific electronic device to convert electro-magnetic signals into sound or to be recorded in some fashion, like a tape.

The best explanation for EVP is people hearing what they want to hear. Some things that I've read involve tuning a radio to an open fequency...which is just stupidly allowing normal radio transmissions to be recorded.

i dont quite think you have understood me. which bit dont you think is viable? the signals being sent round the earth (you mentioned that yourself) or something recording such a signal if it ended up near it? I'd say you'll find many different objects can pick up signals if you had the mind to look into it. Recording devices near military bases have picked up radio transmissions accidentally so it's not like it doesnt happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I've heard of two ways people do EVP. They either tune a radio to a blank frequency and record what comes though (in which case anything they pick up can easily be explained as them having picked up snippets of any radio transmission) or they record with a microphone (which won't pick up radio transmissions).

Either way, I don't see the relevance of signals from far away reaching us, we're saturated with thousands of transmissions anyway.

if you don see the relevance fair enough. i do think youve completely missed the point though. a frequency recording doesnt necessarily get recorded via the mic. anyway, dont worry about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement