Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lonely Planet's Free iPhone/iPod Touch guides. (13cities:Amsterdam,Barcelona,etc.)

Options
  • 20-04-2010 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I am not sure if I should post this here or in Travel Forum.

http://inside-digital.blog.lonelyplanet.com/2010/04/19/lp-volcano-rescue/

In response to the widespread chaos caused by the eruption of Iceland’s Eyjafjallajokull volcano, Lonely Planet is offering 13 of its European iPhone guides free.
    ‘Travellers stuck in unfamiliar places need access to practical information as well as suggestions on what to do whilst stranded’, said Tom Hall, Lonely Planet Travel Editor. ‘That’s why we’re giving away iPhone city guides to major affected destinations.’
    The 13 guides will be free until Thursday, 22 April from the iTunes app store. You can access them via the links below.
    The cities included are:

I also found free guide of Uffizi museum in Florence, Italy. This app is in 2 weeks free promotion. (I think it will be free until the end of April.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Has anyone used the Lonely Planet iPhone apps before?
    Did they find them any good? (the app not the book just in case someone goes off topic)

Reason I ask is there isn't much comments in the App Store about most of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Xandra

If you are not sure whether it is worth downloading or not, try downloading a city that you are familiar with and read through. Then, you can decide if you should download the rest or not.

I have check out some cities. I think it's worth considered it's "free".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I've downloaded them there (13 of them) and had a flick through one or two, they look very good indeed, they might even be worth most of the price they charge for them normally

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

Ste.phen wrote: »
    I've downloaded them there (13 of them) and had a flick through one or two, they look very good indeed, they might even be worth most of the price they charge for them normally

+1

yep, got them all, and would certainly consider getting one for a destination thats not on this promotion

the map and 'nearby' feature looks excellent..!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Has anyone used the Lonely Planet iPhone apps before?
    Did they find them any good? (the app not the book just in case someone goes off topic)

Reason I ask is there isn't much comments in the App Store about most of these.

Used one in Rome in February and though it was pretty decent. Only real negatives for me was that it didn't take advantage of the 3Gs compass, and you had to reset the filters each time the map was opened. But overall, I'd recommend it.

maps for them look to built into the app, so no (roaming!) data charges methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Flash86

Downloaded them all. Great bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Cheers for the heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

Might never use half them but their free, so thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭copper04

Downloaded the Lonley Planet apps to my PC but when IPod touch went to sync them a message popped up to say they were not compatible.
    Anyone else come across anything like this.
    IPod touch 30GB so new (One year old)
    Any ideas. ??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

They are all available through the App Store now, free top 25

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭copper04

Thanks, I will give that a go.

They are all available through the App Store now, free top 25

When I click on link, it's still showing 13.
    BTW updates will be FREE

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

copper04 wrote: »
    Thanks, I will give that a go.

make sure you have the latest SW Version for your device. I had to buy the update from itunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Xandra

Copper04,
    I use iPod Touch from last year too. I downloaded the free guides directly in my iPod without going through iTune by seaching "lonly planet" or going to "Top 25 free app" in App Store. They all work fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I installed them on my iphone and itouch (which hasn't been updated in years) from the App store with no problems, great find op

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭teejay

Thanks OP - going to Paris in a few weeks so this will come in handy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Excellent stuff.. Thanks OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 IrishGooner83

Quick question for anyone who may have used these or similiar abroad before on the iPhone...

When I travel abroad I disable all of my data roaming charges due to the crazy, crazy costs associated with Kb downloads abroad.....

Does anyone know if the map and 'nearby' feature works in offline mode as it were by just using your GPS location from phone..... Or to get full use out of these features do you really need to have data roaming activated?

Any feedback would be brilliant.... Great spot OP.

for those 13, the map is browsable in airplane mode, but cant be 100% about the nearby feature as it detects you're not within the boundaries of their map, and says it wont work till you're there :p reckon it would. As mentioned, shame it doesnt take advantage of the 3gs compass

they had another free one for the winter olympics, 'vancouver, the sights' iirc. It appears to just be a lot of bookmarks overlaid on google maps - not so good...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭Soarer

okidoki987 wrote: »
    When I click on link, it's still showing 13.
    BTW updates will be FREE

The free top 25 is the sorting you do in the App Store. It lists the top 25 free apps. It doesn't mean that there are 25 free lonely planet apps. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Quick question for anyone who may have used these or similiar abroad before on the iPhone...

When I travel abroad I disable all of my data roaming charges due to the crazy, crazy costs associated with Kb downloads abroad.....

Does anyone know if the map and 'nearby' feature works in offline mode as it were by just using your GPS location from phone..... Or to get full use out of these features do you really need to have data roaming activated?

Any feedback would be brilliant.... Great spot OP.

You're not using data when using these apps as the maps are stored on your device, and yes, the nearby feature works with data roaming disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

Help
    Downloaded all the guides but when I sync the Itouch, it's installed all the guides which leaves me little room now on the Itouch.
    I want to keep the guides but would like to keep them off the itouch until I need them so is there any way I can keep them, not download them every time I attach the iTouch until I need to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I haven't double checked this, but I believe if you uncheck the applications in itunes app sync area, it will remove them from the ipod but allow you to check them again in the future. Also, if you 'buy' something once in itunes, you can download it again without charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Assume these aren't free anymore, so marked as expired!

buy

Does that work for Free ones?

Advertisement