Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landcruiser - Injector Seat Problem - Toyota Campaign

Options
  • 20-04-2010 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Landcruiser - Injector Seat Problem - Toyota Campaign

Anyone know anything about this?

Was told about this last week, so I rang a Toyota dealer today.
    Seems that the seats on the injectors, thats the washer at the bottom of the injector, is giving trouble.
    They will clean the injectors and put in new seats free of charge.
    They are calling it a "campaign" also, not a "recall".

Seems that it is related to 'knocking' in the engine when it is cold.:mad:

They didn't exactly advertise this, did they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Toyota have had problems all year but I never thought they build them so bad that they need to fit ejector seats.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The carbon gets up past the injectors and starts to mix with the oil.

It then thickens the oil and starts to collect in the oil strainer in the sump causing oil starvation and that is what causes the knock

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DougieH

I had the injectors replaced under warranty on my '07 LC last Nov at the 85,000 km service, I rang the garage last week to book 100,000 km service and they said there was another problem with the seals around the injectors and I would need to leave it in for the day. Prior to that I had heard nothing about there being more problems with the injectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭iron man

my 07 landcrusier is at the same lark. it knocks like hell when she is cold. it stops after 10 mins... when she warms up. you would be afraid to give her the shoe in case the engine would blow. i took it to the toyota dealer and he said that its what they do and id have to live with it..... warrenty up in feb 2011.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Yep,
    Mine the same, knocking a lot when cold, really bad there during the cold weather during the winter. After 5 mins or so, when it heats up, its fine.

Hopefully when this injector seal work is done, it will be fine.
    I rang two Toyota dealers, the first said the knocking was due to the Injector Seal problem. The second said it was probably the injector sticking when cold.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

If you have a newish Cruiser, drop your sump and take a look at your oil pick up strainer. When you find that it is a manky, clogged affair, take a look at the price of a replacement Turbo, cos 1 follows the other. I've had 2, and neither (though both were a dream to drive) lived up to the rock solid reputation - 1st (00)bought at age 1, did in its transfer box in jig time, second clogged its strainer and barfed its turbo. Not cheap and not fun. A friend runs pick-ups, hard, and stuffed his new Hi-lux in no time. A replacement L200 did a lot better but still died prematurely. Its hard to find truly tough metal these days. And the D4D's seem to be a bad lump.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

dunsandin wrote: »
    - 1st (00)bought at age 1, did in its transfer box in jig time,
    What went in the T-box? The chain drive or the epicyclic gear assembly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Well known problem but when it manifests itself as serious engine rebuild/renew work then Mr T denies all knowledge in a lot of instances.

See here: -

http://tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6408&sid=c95fefcec1dae7eed0e9f36fdb607077

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What went in the T-box? The chain drive or the epicyclic gear assembly?

No Idea. Went into local Toyoty grage, got quote, laughed a lot, sold rapid. And best of all, buyer(a dealer) turned up with a T.ta mechanic(complete with t.ta overalls!!), test drove for what felt like a week, peered all over and under, declared it fit and well, and off the three went. :D I was all steeled for the whole"well, we like it, but in light of the problem, we would have to make you a crappy offer...." conversation, but it never happened. So, toyota sold it to me, and then bought it back, justice,ish, well....sort of. My mates a mechanic, and he has two cruisers in at the moment for turbos due to pick up cloggage, and he wont even buy the parts - he reckons its too likley to happen again, so he will fit a turbo they supply, but offers no warranty. And he's a clever chap when it comes to oily things.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭iron man

what can be done about the knocking form the engine when its cold.?????

• Advertisement

Turn it off and open your cheque-book. I find a cheque book can silence the most annoying noises. Usually accompanied by a friendly mechanic with an itemised bil to match.

Advertisement